Dark brass hardware on Belstaff Trailmaster Legend

There is arguably nothing cooler-looking than a nice comfortable, beat up-looking leather jacket. It becomes part of who you are more than any other item in your wardrobe. But there are those of us who want to accelerate that process rather than wear a brand-new pristine jacket. This is where we discuss the techniques for making new jackets look like old jackets.

Moderator: Mike

BlueRiver

Dark brass hardware on Belstaff Trailmaster Legend

Postby BlueRiver » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 am

Hi guys!

I'm in the process of modifying my new Trailmaster Legend to be more screen accurate.
The first thing I did was to let my tailor convert the belt to a fixed half-belt. Huge improvement in my eyes.

Now I've set my focus to the brass hardware.

I've found a solution (in Sweden) called Norit/Svartoxid or Argentoxid and is commonly used by professional jewelers to darken metals like silver and in this case brass. I tried it on the brass buckle with great success. The oxide gave the brass a dark antique look almost instant. The sad part is that the solution did not have the same effect on the buttons. Despite giving it a darker finish, it only affected the surface and can easily be washed off with a dry cloth.

Prior to using the solution I cleaned off the original antique distress on the buttons with paint thinner. Leaving a clean brass colored button... but is it an actual brass button or a brass look-a-like?

Anyone else who has darkened the buttons on a Belstaff jacket without using paint?
"That's not a purse. That's a satchel!"

Return to “Aging Techniques”