Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock Belstaff Coat Jacket

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

CRB

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock Belstaff Coat Jacket

Postby CRB » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:23 am

You must share my pain ...

Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

furrycat

Postby furrycat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:28 am

The new one seems not as long and the wool and buttons seem not as nice.

CRB

Postby CRB » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:33 am

And cuffs different and the back of the collar is horrible. Not too mention the material is notably lighter. Talk about desperate to grab sales.
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:11 pm

But if I were to hazard a guess, Belstaff is simply banking on average consumers not noticing that these differences exist. Consider how many details are important to make an Indy jacket (as an example) that is reasonably close to the original in ROTLA, and yet people off the street will readily identify almost any brown leather jacket worn with a generic fedora as an Indy costume.

Why is the original a great jacket?

1) Subdued but refined colour scheme, especially the red button hole that 'pops'.
2) Cuffs that are over-the-top enough to be original, yet still within the design aesthetics (big cuffs are okay with a big collar).

The new one simply looks like a step backwards...everything is more conservative except the collar. Once again, mixing aesthetics which weakens all.

Incidentally, the new jacket isn't done any favours by the photograph using a model that has a small head. You need a large 'crown' in order for this to work without wearing a hat. The photo also suffers from giving the impression that there's a reverse v-shape between shoulders and waist (the shoulders by design or illusion look slimmer than the waist...which is always a no-no in male fashion design).

The average person on the street, walking into the store, will be told that this is the Sherlock jacket. They'll buy it. Then they'll enthusiastically look up their purchase on the net to confirm what a great deal they got or find people who are also fans of the jacket. Then they'll stumble across FilmJackets, and learn that they made a mistake. It's not like it hasn't happened before... :paranoid:

T.
Nihil tam incertum nec tam inaestimabile est quam animus multitudinis.
- Titus Livius

Sean Mallory

Postby Sean Mallory » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:04 am

Brilliant ! :grin:
" I used to believe in many things, all of it! Now, I believe only in dynamite." -John H. Mallory
" An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." -Mahatma Gandhi
" Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth." -Blaise Pascal

jnicktem

Postby jnicktem » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:15 pm

I would like to resurrect this old thread. The Sherlock coat has to be one of my favorites- but there is no way I am going to be able to get the real deal from Belstaff.

A lot of the Replicas mentioned here were from a couple of years ago. What Replicas would you guys recommend in the under $300 range?

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:24 am

New season, new jackets.

Any ideas what the Watsons jacket might be? Leather shoulder and elbow patches, looks like Barbour to me (since he used to wear International jacet). Costume department fitting?

Too many jackets, too little time :(

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”