Fight Club Jacket Information and FAQ

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

smirkingrevenge

Fight Club Jacket Information and FAQ

Postby smirkingrevenge » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:22 am

Background

A lot of questions we get asked on the Fight Club Jacket Thread are, from time to time, the same old thing. How much? Where can I get it? Which one is best? The information is on the thread, but scattered around wily nily and hard for new people to find. Even though the thread is not as popular as it once was, it does have spurts of interest from time to time.
So, in order to keep it short and simple, here is some useful information for those who require it.
Original Fight Club Jacket made for the film by Jonathan A. Logan

For ease, lets call this version Mk. 1
Image Image

Image Image

This jacket is clearly a prototype that Michael Kaplan (Costume designer) had designed for the costume department. From the DVD commentary of the film, Kaplan says that he had the jacket dyed in a late 60s, early 70s red/brown and then the top stitching was added to make it look authentic.

Now, we don’t know if Kaplan had it built from scratch this way, or it was a modified regular jacket that was bought off the rack. But since Kaplan and Jonathan A. Logan have worked together for a long time it’s not hard to believe that Kaplan and Logan came up with this design together. There are more than a few tell-tale JAL traits on the jacket that was used during filming.

This however is not the jacket that was used in the filming or subsequent marketing. So I would assume that there were quite a few changes made before the final version was agreed upon.

UPDATE I recently had the chance to see this jacket in person, and I have to say it was a very eye opening experience. There are is a lot of distress on the jacket, enough to make me believe that this jacket could have possibly been used for filming. The owner very kindly let me have a look, photograph it and look at all the little details that have been missed. This jacket was definitely made by Jonathan A Logan for the film. It has the same lining and buttons as the standard model he makes for customers today. It also has marks of paint on it and other slight continuity blemishes which are easy to spot on the film jacket. It is now a matter of proving that it was indeed used for filming and not just a prototype. The photographs I took are available on the main thread for this is jacket in the Film Jackets Forum.

The Jacket

The Mk.2 Jacket

The Mk.2 Jacket looks like this
Image Image
Image Image

As you can see there are a few differences. Namely the colour. The original red/brown has been made a lot redder. David Fincher likes to shoot dark so its likely the colour was changed in post to draw the eye away from the red. On the blu-ray release, this seems to have been fixed in certain scenes and is now a more brighter shade of red.

So what other changes were made? Well, the pockets for one. Gone are the western design which matches the stitching across the back. On the Mk.2 they are triangular.
The collar has less of a curve to it. It is now quite a nice mix of vintage and modern. Loud enough to be noticed, but tasteful enough to be appreciated.

There is also a change in the stitching on the elbow. On the prototype there is just a fold. But stitching on the back of the arm was added at a later time. There have also been pictures of stitching and folds on the lower back of the jacket. But a fold is seen as being Screen Accurate.

Tell-Tale JAL design traits would be the folds in the leather, the shape of the collar, the pocket flaps, the stitching, the length and cut of the jacket. Even the button placement seems familiar when put next to other Logan designs.

Where to buy

This version of the design is available here
http://www.jonathanalogan.com

and here

http://stores.shopjonathanalogan.com/-strse-2/Fight-Club-leather-jacket%2C/Detail.bok

The price of the jacket is $850.00. Additional sizes may cost more as more leather would be used. The jacket does come in standard sizing and is not a "Fitted" jacket.

If you have the time and have someone to measure you, Jonathan does offer a made to measure service , this would cost more, but email him for details.

The finished product looks like this
Image Image

Very heavy leather, silk lined. Fantastic quality and a jacket that requires quite a lot of wear to break in.

The colour of the leather that JAL has been using is a very versatile colour, it looks different from shot to shot and camera to camera which is why its hard to capture.

Other colours or stitch colours are available on request.

As a side note, this jacket was recently displayed in London at the 20th Century Fox exhibition.
As you can clearly see, the picture of the swatch above is pretty much a spot on match for the screen used jacket.

Replicas and Things to Avoid

So what about the other versions of this jacket? Where else can you buy it, if Jonathan A. Logan is out of your price range?
The choices are pretty endless. Ebay is a good bet, however, some of these jackets range from being, not bad, to terrible

Most of these designs are of the Mk.1 as you can see from the pocket flaps, but they are actually replicas of a replica. Soul Revolver have been designing and selling their version of the Fight Club jacket for a number of years. But they seem to have had their design of the jacket replicated by others with a varying degree of laziness.

Bad cut, skinny arms, cheap leather, very RED , incorrect stitching, buttons all over the place, collars that are just shocking, the list is endless.

However, Soul Revolver have recently updated their jacket to match the screen used jacket as much as possible.

For our money here on filmjackets the best replica out there is the Soul Revolver. This is the new design of the jacket

Pretty spot on and great quality.

This jacket can be ordered here
[url]
http://www.soulrevolver.com/replica-lea ... t-club-red[/[/url]

I hope this serves to answer some questions you might have on the subject.

If i have left anything out, please let me know

Cheers

Rupert
Last edited by smirkingrevenge on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
None of you understand. I'm not locked in here with you. It is you who is locked in with me.

smirkingrevenge

Re: Fight Club Jacket Information and FAQ

Postby smirkingrevenge » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Just a quick update on this, Soul Revolver has designed an "Antiqued" version of their Fight Club jacket. Would love to see a swatch of this leather, although it doesn't appear to be on the website yet, I'm assuming it'll be available in the new year.

None of you understand. I'm not locked in here with you. It is you who is locked in with me.

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”