Fake Belstaff???

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

Zero

Fake Belstaff???

Postby Zero » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:20 am

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted in these forums, about a year or so. I recently got back into leather jackets, and acquired a used Belstaff from eBay. I've had some issues with the seller and now I'm unsure of what to think of the jacket. It's from "The Aviator by Belstaff" collection, and I really really like it, but there are some strange things going on for sure. A seam in the lining in the left arm definitely looks like its been tampered with, and it is uncomfortable to wear. The seam differs from the lining in the right arm, and knowing that Belstaff leather jackets cost between 1K to 2K it seems unlikely that the seam would be this poor. Everything else about it screams Belstaff to me, but this is my first real leather jacket so I'm not a very reliable source. Every seam but this one is flawless, it has YKK zippers, the distressing is excellent, and the buttons have the belstaff sig. I believe the model number is 27801

I would greatly appreciate if some of the more informed gents could chime in and let me know what they think of the seam, and whether they think jacket is itself genuine. I've emailed Belstaff with pictures but they haven't emailed me back, and I filed a case with eBay since the seller got very aggressive and defensive when I asked about the modified liner. It was listed as mint 9.5/10, and so I was definitely not expecting this. There was no mention of poor liner repair, and so I jumped to either partial refund or return. Ebay got back very quickly (less than 24 hrs) and I won the case, but I like the jacket so much I dont really want to return it if its genuine. Below are some images of the jacket and the seam. I will post tomorrow some pictures of me wearing the jacket.

ps. I can't seem to find what year this was made in. Any thoughts??? The seller says he purchased it in dec 2010, but I was under the impression that the aviator collection by belstaff was made in 2005.

Zero

Re: Fake Belstaff???

Postby Zero » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:37 am

I figured since I'm up why not just post the rest of the pictures.

If the jacket is a genuine belstaff, which seems likely to me, I would like to know if it's a good deal to keep it. I paid 240 for it, and as a college student that's a lot of cheddar to spend on a jacket. Do you guys think this is still a good deal even if I have to repair the liner in the future? I'm thinking maybe $40 or so to fix this seam???

Anyway here are the pictures.

the sleeves are kinda long but I'm used to that cuz I'm pretty short but I usually buy medium so it will fit around the chest.

Cmdr_Bong

Postby Cmdr_Bong » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:40 am

I'm by no means an expert on Belstaff, especially their Aviatior line. But that looks to be a genuine item.
There are 3 rules to Procrastinating:

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:05 am

I agree. I don't see any tale tell signs of it being a fake. I do see tons of detail that if it were a fake, they did a good job in going the extra mile to make it seem legit. :smile:
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

ReturningSon

Postby ReturningSon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 am

its legit but Im not sure on the exact model as I have never really seen a two-tone leather like this as part of the aviator line. CRB might be able to shed some light. I would say the seam was tampered, maybe tailored? But i can tell why the leather hangs off your body that its 100% legit.
Such As We Are, So Shall You Be

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:36 pm

The seam is normal on a lot of jackets. Jackets are made inside-out, and then pulled through. The seam is the evidence of where it was pulled through.
"Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Zero

Postby Zero » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Hello Templar is there a site where I can get a clear idea of how jackets are made in this regard? It would be interesting and useful to know. I'm was just really surprised because the seam makes the left arm somewhat uncomfortable.

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Zero wrote:Hello Templar is there a site where I can get a clear idea of how jackets are made in this regard? It would be interesting and useful to know. I'm was just really surprised because the seam makes the left arm somewhat uncomfortable.

Not that I know of. But you can work it out yourself if you think about it. Most seams are connected with seam edges inside a garment. With unlined garments, such as jeans, you can see them and if you turn the jeans inside out, you can see how it has been constructed.

With a lined jacket the lining has to be sewn in from the inside so logically there *must* be somewhere where the jacket is flipped inside out.
"Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:38 am

Zero wrote:Hello Templar is there a site where I can get a clear idea of how jackets are made in this regard? It would be interesting and useful to know. I'm was just really surprised because the seam makes the left arm somewhat uncomfortable.

Look at this video from "How It's Made" at about 4 minutes into the video.

Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. -- Ryunosuke Satoro

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:59 pm

This is such a cool but time consuming process. Once I stepped into Vanson's Factory to see behind the scenes, I slowly gained tons of respect for everyone there, and why quality jackets not to mention any quality garment costs as much as it does. Completing a jacket inside out then flipping it right side out like it never happened is magic to me. :cool:
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

Zero

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Well its comforting to know that its legit. I'm not really sure if I'm going to keep it though. The color is like a very faded ivory, even though with flash it looks pretty white and without flash it looks like cinammon/white. And that seam is just very uncomfortable with a short sleeve shirt. Plus I also ordered a jacket from vintage trends, so I suppose if I fall in love with it when it arrives I may just keep that one. If it isn't drop dead gorgeous, I'll have to keep them both :grin: . The one I ordered from vintage trends seems to have inverted pleats in the back, which is something I'd really like on a tight fitting jacket, but from the measurements it probably wont be too snug.

I just hope the color looks like in the pictures, although from what I've both read and seen this seems to be very unlikely. Also, anyone know how to make the pleats maintain their shape better, kinda like the new aero 20's halfbelt??

I suppose since mine's a vintage the leather has just been worn in, but I heard about the filmjackets halfbelt has some elastic bands in the biswing back gussets. Maybe something like that could be added to the pleats???

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:45 am

So what is the situation with the seller. Have you reimbursed him/her his money?

Zero

Postby Zero » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:56 pm

well I contacted him about the seam and I was very skeptical about this being mint, and he replied with a very rude response and straight out provoked me to just try and open a case with ebay. After receiving his response I didn't even bother responding I simply opened a case. I ended up winning it which tells me that he probably didn't have the purchase receipt like he claimed, since I wasn't even asked to provide pictures of the seam. I still have the jacket but if I send it back within the next few days I will get a full refund from him and free return shipping from ebay. He had such a bad attitude that was the biggest reason I opened the case, and wouldn't mind sending it back to him on a whim.

CRB

Postby CRB » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 am

If you dont find it comfortable then send it back. Otherwise keep it as its a great price for a unique cool looking jacket. But comfort is more important, so if its going to annoy you, send it back.
As a buyer on Ebay and open a case you're going to win 99 times out of a 100. Ebay gives practically zero protection for sellers even after charging them a very high fee, another reason I hate Ebay.
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 am

Just seen this one.. There was arecently whole bunch of these aviation themed jackets in the same color in ebay. Let me open a new thread..
Too many jackets, too little time :(

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”