Walking Dead "Daryl Dixon" Leather Vest

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Walking Dead "Daryl Dixon" Leather Vest

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 am

Walking Dead "Daryl Dixon" Leather Vest Main Page
Manufacturer: STREET LEGAL by WILSONS LEATHER

Costume Designer: Eulyn Womble

Suggested By: Rick Theriault

Screen Captures: 2010 © American Movie Classics (AMC), Circle of Confusion, Valhalla Motion Pictures

Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. -- Ryunosuke Satoro

only looking

Re: Walking Dead "Daryl Dixon" Leather Vest

Postby only looking » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 am

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/i ... Id=3897202

There you go. Wings and weathering..got to do yourselves. :wink:
It's not the years honey...it's the mileage!

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 am

Damn, that looks an awful lot like it! Or one of them, I should say. There were at least 3 of them that I counted. There are two different ones in the three images above. Check the snaps on Norman's right side.

murph39

Postby murph39 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:25 pm

The Wilson's Leather Vest certainly looks close at least close enough for me. The wardrobe departmant has said that the angel wings were sewn on later.

I know that there are some motorcycle riders on the forum and I'm wondering whether this vest is practical for riding? I mean if you lay your bike down I imagine that your arms are gonna get torn up wearing this thing. I notice that the costume actually gave Daryl's jacket leather sleeves to deal with that issue :wink: I only ask because I'm thinking of getting a bike in the next year or so and the Wilson's vest is decently priced and if its practical I might get it to wear eventually. If its impractical I can't see blowing that much on a costume accessory. Vest seems to have some good reviews on the wilson site though. I'll add that if I were to get the vest I definately wouldn't add the wings as I'm nowhere near as badass as Daryl to pull it off(I'd look like some biker wannabe :lol: )

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Vests are not practical for protection. Neither is riding with no helmet, but that is personal preference. Vests for me is mostly arm freedom while keeping my body warm. Motorcycles are called Iron Horses and some people say that the vest is a throwback to the days when cowbooys wore vests - part of their functional "uniform" if you will.

From what I have seen, I think that the vest is more for advertising where you have been, which club you belong to and what is important to you. Some wear them because they offer pockets without the additional weight. I have heard bikers say that they wear them to hold their shirts down. Others like them because they look cool.

Some say protection, but I find that hard to swallow. I will let you know about the weight and thickness Saturday as I have a couple on hold that I am going to check out. Not sure if I am getting a large or medium...

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:52 pm

murph39 wrote:I'll add that if I were to get the vest I definately wouldn't add the wings as I'm nowhere near as badass as Daryl to pull it off(I'd look like some biker wannabe :lol: )

That is an excellent move, leaving the wings off.

only looking

Postby only looking » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Trust me, it's the same one. Ask Freezle, he;s the man! He's made the replicas of Daryls jacket and informed everyone that Wilsons changed the buttons on them, that's why the button change in the screencaps... :wink: Also his brother Merle had the same vest, except minus the wings...so you can be either Merle or Daryl with that vest...lol :thumbsup:

murph39

Postby murph39 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:09 am

Rick wrote:Vests are not practical for protection. Neither is riding with no helmet, but that is personal preference. Vests for me is mostly arm freedom while keeping my body warm. Motorcycles are called Iron Horses and some people say that the vest is a throwback to the days when cowbooys wore vests - part of their functional "uniform" if you will.

From what I have seen, I think that the vest is more for advertising where you have been, which club you belong to and what is important to you. Some wear them because they offer pockets without the additional weight. I have heard bikers say that they wear them to hold their shirts down. Others like them because they look cool.

Some say protection, but I find that hard to swallow. I will let you know about the weight and thickness Saturday as I have a couple on hold that I am going to check out. Not sure if I am getting a large or medium...

Thanks for the quick reply Rick :smile: I'd definately like to know what you think about the vest as I'm not very familiar with leather myself :lol:

murph39

Postby murph39 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 am

Sorry for the double post but Rick could you also give me an idea on the sizing when you get the chance?? The reviews on Wilson say true to sizeand I normally wear mediums in jackets but I imagine I might wear a small if I want a screen accurate fit. Like Norman Reedus I'm pretty skinny. I'm 5'9 153lbs. and wear a 38 in jackets usually. No idea how vests are sized but I'd asumme they were sized to fit over clothing.

murph39

Postby murph39 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:34 pm

I hate to kepp posting but I figure I'd let everyone know that with the sale Wilsons having this week you can save like $40USD on this vest. 20%off the vest through Sunday takes off $30 and you can save a further $12 by suscribing to the online email list and getting free shipping. So $150 vest becomes a $108 vest which is a good bargaign. Ends 4/14/13. Just wondering what size would fit me best though medium is probably safest.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:10 pm

I just walked out of the store a short while ago. The vest has a $300.00 price tag, is marked down to $150 on the site, was discounted to $119.99 in the store (Merrimack, NH) and when the smoke cleared, I paid a grand total of $83.99 for the vest. According to Melissa, a Wilson's associate, Wilson's may be phasing back to their own brand name like they were before, so the Street Legal name may be a thing of the past soon.

Why is this important? This exact vest is in both the Wilsons Leather label and the Street Legal label. I bought the Street Legal version because I had a really super hi-res shot of Norman Reedus wearing the vest. It is MUCH bigger than the one below, in fact. I posted an image of the press snap on the site on March 7, 2013 as I was able to zoom in and it clearly looked like an "SL" on the snap. You can see the results here.

The Street Legal logo is an exact match on the vest that I just purchased, although the button style is a little different - specifically the edge. But we can say without a doubt that at least one of the vests (and there were more than one) that Daryl wears is a Street Legal vest by Wilsons Leather. The other vest has different style press snaps but very well may be a Wilsons Leather brand of the same vest.

The measurements for the vest are as follows:

Medium:
Chest: 20" across / 40" around
Back length: 22 1/2 "

Large:
Chest: 22" across / 44" around
Back length: 24 "

Remember that the vests are basically 2 pieces of leather that are held together with laces, so if you need a bit more room, you can loosen the side laces a bit. I bought the medium.

The description states that the "leather is tougher and the sleeves are longer," which is an unfortunate thing to say about a vest, as it has no sleeves. Also, the description states "This vest is crafted with heavy duty leather along with a cutaway hem and side laces..." In reality, the leather is lightweight and made in Pakistan. My medium weighs in at 1 lb. 9.4 ounces.

murph39

Postby murph39 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks for the post Rick. :smile:

Glad to hear that you got such a discount by going to the actuals store. Based on your savings I plan on going to the Wilson's store about an hour away sometime soon. I've haggled the staff there for addtitional discounts in the past when the weathers gotten warmer so I think could get around your final price. Also I could get the sizing right by trying it on in store and hopefully get the Street Legal version.

Thanks so much Rick and enjoy the vest! Post pics!

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:07 pm

The Street Legal vests are in limited supply so hurry!

murph39

Postby murph39 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Looking good Rick :grin: Vest fits you perfectly and looks awesome! More motivation for me to get my butt down to Wilson's soon!

only looking

Postby only looking » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm

people might also want to think what all theyll be wearing when ordering...such as daryl wears a long sleeved shirt then a corudroy jacket then the vest...so guessing the vest might be the next size up to go over all that...casue Daryls looks loose even after being worn over that.....just a thought. What size is yours in the pic Rick and what weight/size are you

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”