"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Han Solo (Harrison Ford) Jacket

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

calciferjenkins

Re: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" Han Solo (Harrison Ford) Jacket

Postby calciferjenkins » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 pm

I love that. Definitely going on my list for the future. I'm a sucker for magnets.

furrycat

Postby furrycat » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:47 am

I tried on the Matchless jacket last night. The leather is the same as the Avengers Captain jacket, which means it's very nice and supple. Matchless are not providing the little ammo things to go in the left breast "pocket" apparently in response to recent terrorist activity; they will be sold separately later.

The various pockets are good for carrying small items of appropriate size but totally impractical for warming your hands. Unless you have an artificial left hand as a result of a lightsabre duel and don't need to keep it warm.

The zip fastening is off-centre with the magnetic closure folding over the top. The bottom magnetic closure is still two small panels rather than one large one.

I always liked the look of the jacket and it's made from very nice leather. The impracticality of the pockets and lack of screen accuracy are pushing me towards not purchasing it. If I were more of a collector or cosplayer it would be a tougher decision.

Castor Dioscuri

Postby Castor Dioscuri » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:44 am

Just saw the movie... Amazing, bittersweet movie! Like reliving my childhood all over again!

But back to the jacket, I'm 99% certain that Matchless did not design the jackets for the movie, but rather designed jackets for sale BASED on the wardrobe jackets. There is no specific mention by Kaplan, the costume designer, of having worked with them, and the company's statements are vaguely worded- if they had indeed made the jackets for the film, they'd be plastering the walls announcing it as they have with their past collaborations.

Not a bad copy though. Certainly missing more than a couple subtle design features such as the stitching below the bottom left pocket, and as previously mentioned, the magnets being an incorrect pattern. But for an undiscerning collector with a heavy wallet, the differences are neglible.

Not all that surprising considering that the back of their Han Solo Vest design looks like this, where they seem to have cut corners and lazily recycled the chest loops from this jacket for the vest design:

So the quest continues to find out who made the jacket. My money's on an in-house studio job...

Castor Dioscuri

Postby Castor Dioscuri » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:16 pm

So has anyone had a chance to try on one of the Matchless jackets?

I've been trying to find a review or even a picture of the jacket outside of a publicity event, but have come up empty handed. Any chance anyone might want to take a plunge? I'm sure I can't be the only one curious to see what these look like worn candid and unzipped (strange that the only clear photos of the Matchless jacket are completely zipped up).

On another note, I'm starting to wonder if the folks at Matchless even had a prop jacket to work off of, considering how there are many details omitted from what I can tell. While I understand the use of zips to make it more functional for riders, the lack of little details, the proportions being a little off, and the overall color being completely off is strange for a luxury item at this price point geared towards collectors.

I mean, consider what I wrote in my previous post about the vest. It just looks like they cut corners where they could, which to me explains the inaccurate magnet size on the stormflap: The bottom magnentic closure should be a long rectangular piece, but it's the simply two widemagnetic closures instead. It really seems like they simply were cutting corners by using only producing and using one type of magnetic closure shape so as to save on having to create two unique magnetic shapes.

Same argument goes for the detailing on the back of their Han Solo vest in which they reused the loops from their Han Solo jacket chest instead of making a larger set of loops, making that detail on their vest look very awkwardly placed and more than a little pointless.

I'm not even arguing for screen accuracy at this point, but rather the cost-saving design choices impacting both the aesthetic and functionality of fairly expensive luxury products. I mean, if this were a Target/Wal-Mart jacket I'd understand, but for the price you'd think they would be able to run two separate production lines for both variants of the loops and magnetic closures. :thinking:

Just a little disappointing to me, especially considering how nicely their Finn jacket turned out. Even though not necessarily screen accurate, the changes that Matchless made for their take on the Finn jacket are aesthetically pleasing and understandable.

Thoughts?

CRB

Postby CRB » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Just noticed the inside label on the Han Solo jacket. Can't say I'm that keen on it really.

Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

CRB

Postby CRB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:33 pm

Seems to be a black version available too now ...

Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

Castor Dioscuri

Postby Castor Dioscuri » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:08 am

You know, a small aside, but I think the costume designer was influenced in no small part by very 1970's fashion when creating SW7. I mean, Finn's jacket looks like the style Luke wore at the medal ceremony, let alone the jackets worn by a whole host of background extras like Greedo, etc.

So it makes sense then that Han's jacket has a 70's futuristic vibe going on- I mean, this is the same costume designer that gave us Blade Runner's fashions. With that said, I watched Alien again the other day, and I noticed right away that the uniforms on the Nostromo seemed to have one concurring theme:

Do those chest loops look familiar?

Would make sense to have a 70's design element reused for Han Solo, another fictional character from the same era that spends the majority of his time on his starship.

Blink

Postby Blink » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:04 am

In related news, if you ever wanted a Han Solo esque 'Empire Strikes Back' style jacket, ASOS have just released this.

More images and info here

Louie

Postby Louie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Found a good deal on the Matchless Han Solo jacket from Stuartslondon. I see on their site, the picture of the jacket the tag just says Matchless. While on the Matchless website their Han Solo jacket tag has Start Wars Matchless on it. Does anyone know if there is a difference? Aside from the tag the jackets look the same.

Castor Dioscuri

Postby Castor Dioscuri » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:42 pm

I finally had a chance to try on Matchless' Han Solo jacket, and I was not impressed at all.

On a size medium, the chest loops look oversized, and the colors available are either too light brown, or a black jacket that has a very slight hint of brown. The fit is odd too, because it goes for a very tapered waist, causing the bottom of the jacket to flare outwards like a skirt regardless of what size I tried on (keeping in mind I have a slim to athletic physique). It basically tries to pair a Han Solo style with a very fashion-forward design, but the design of the jacket is just too busy to support that fit. And this coming from someone who generally prefers wearing fitted jackets.

But perhaps the biggest crime in Matchless' Han Solo jacket is the collar. They really missed the mark here as their collar sits too high and is, like the rest of the jacket, very fitted. From a movie replica standpoint, Ford's collar sits low and is a very loose fit. From a wearability standpoint, the high collar on this jacket looks a bit silly with the busy, bulky details of the rest of the jacket, and is high enough that it would keep rubbing against your chin. Granted, this is a common mistake I've noticed in many replica Han Solo jackets, but the problem with Matchless's design is that it sits way too high even for a moto-style jacket.

I would definitely not recommend this variation on the Han Solo jacket. Even overlooking the wrong magnetic closures (which I suspect is a cost-saving feature... on a luxury jacket no less!), the jacket paired a bulky movie jacket style with a tapered, slim fit. A combination that appeals to neither movie-fan nor fashionista. Quite disappointing, especially since this was a jacket I had looked forward to for a long, long time.

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:33 pm

I got on the Dannylopez run on the RPF, I ordered the sleeves maybe 1" too short, but apart from that I like it a lot, fit is good, leather is right.

The jacket is made by Heron, and well put together.

"Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:16 am

seems there is one for sale out there if anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/matchless-lederj ... SwCU1Y1t7x
Too many jackets, too little time :(

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”