Steve Mcqueen 1964 ISDT American Olympic Team rider jacket

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

PolishFarmer

Steve Mcqueen 1964 ISDT American Olympic Team rider jacket

Postby PolishFarmer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:51 am

I'm not sure if this jacket has actually been in a movie, but would it be possible to get a custom job and have this motorcycle jacket made to spec?
Steve McQueen used to wear a similar style jacket.

There are similar jackets by barbour and belstaff or whatever but without the detail, peculiarities and quality of the Mullhound Masters jacket.
Like the really big pockets, the back pocket, the flap over the zipper, the button neck closure flap, the thicker and bulkier fabric, the elbow reinforcement and the inner lining.

I just don't think anyone except you guys at FILMJACKETS.COM has the potential of actually remaking this

Mullhound Masters used to make it but it has been discontinued for a while. I contacted them and they told me that they would not be remaking it in the future.
http://www.misterfreedom.com/mulholland ... brown.html

Specs from the Mullhound Masters site.

SPECS: BROWN.

Guaranteed to beautify with wear. Preshrunk with gentle rinse.

FABRIC:
Originally developed for the US Navy and officially called “Jungle Cloth”. A sturdy 100% cotton ‘gros grain’ type cloth, tightly woven for wind proofing and with water repellent qualities. It can be individually waxed with adequate wax dressing, to add to the water proofing quality. Originally natural white, the fabric is piece dyed in a rich

LINING:

The body lining is 100% cotton wide wale corduroy, midnight blue color, for warmth. The inner arms lining is a “new/old stock” 100%cotton fabric, white and indigo plaid checkered, found in limited quantities in a warehouse in Los Angeles.

CONSTRUCTION:

Single needle construction, sturdy double stitching.
100% cotton thread, navy blue color.

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

STORY Behind the jacket

American riding jackets were predominantly made out of leather since the 1930’s, which proved unpractical in wet and muddy environments, such as off road riding and rainy conditions. They were also mostly shorter waist cut.

Influence by military patterns, British motorcycle clothing manufacturers (such as Barbour International, Belstaff etc) adapted military field/air jackets to produce riding coats suitable for wet and cold conditions, creating the typical “International” style soon sported by riders around the world.

Professional motorcyclists also adopted that style, as seen with the 1964 ISDT American Olympic Team outfits, featuring Steve McQueen as one of the official US Trial riders.

The MF S/c “Speed Safe” clothing Fall 2009 collection includes an original cotton rider’s jacket: The “Mulholland Master”, taking it’s name from one of Los Angeles favorite Highway for motorcycle riders and automotive speedsters and cruisers.

The pattern is inspired by vintage 1960's British Motorcycle riding gear, 1940’s US Paratrooper jackets and other military coats. It combines modified patterns, US military hardware and original MF S/c detailing to create a unique ‘ultimate’ winter coat suitable for riding and other outdoor activities.

Due to the use of vintage and “new-old stock” components, it is made in limited quantities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

l0fielectronic

Re: Steve Mcqueen 1964 ISDT American Olympic Team rider jacket

Postby l0fielectronic » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:10 pm

Not really sure what you are asking. Are you asking about a copy of the Mister Freedom Jacket or the Barbour that Steve McQueen is wearing in the photo?

The Mister Freedom jacket is a lovely piece but its much more complex the McQueen jacket. I've seen 2nd hand Mister Freedom jackets come up for sale from time to time on eBay and elsewhere, and, if you are after a more simple Barbour International style jacket then there are a huge number of options out there and always lots of vintage jackets for sale, also I know Barbour have done a replica of the 1964 jacket complete with fake mud a couple of years ago. Really depends on what you are looking for.

thebluebus

Postby thebluebus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:40 am

Like l0fi, I'm not certain what you're asking. Are you looking for a Mister Freedom jacket? Or a source to have a replica made to your specs? Or suggestions for an alternative?

To me, it appears to be a replica of the Barbour International design with some additional details (elbow reinforcement, throat panel, funky stormflap catches): perhaps get a Barbour International and have it modified? I bought a perfect black International for £90 on eBay. Or brand new is £250. Barbour themselves can modify their jackets to your specifications; they are incredibly helpful and easy to deal with in my experience - they would add rear pockets or elbow panels I'm sure. Their standard repair form even has pricing for adding new pockets.

Or you could try their motorcycle International, which has extra liner and padding and armour (if you want this for riding)? Or you could try to source one of their limited edition 75th Anniversary jackets - they had rear pockets too:

All depends on your budget for this, I suppose. There are also plenty of firms who will made you a similar jacket with unique details, forex: http://claymorejackets.co.uk/international.htm

Or, of course you could just buy a Mister Freedom jacket!

thebluebus

Postby thebluebus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:49 am

Sorry! Just realised you already said you contacted them about the actual jacket and it's out of production.

PolishFarmer

Postby PolishFarmer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 pm

I was wondering if i could get one made to spec?

the mister freedom jacket just seems alot thicker and bulkier.

So thebluesbus, what your saying is that i can just get a regular barbour jacket like you from the company and they can modify it and upgrade it with pockets and extra armor ?

thebluebus

Postby thebluebus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:54 pm

It's a thought. I know they'll do all sorts of modifications. A Barbour International is 8oz cotton, I don't know how that compares to the Freedom jacket.

Doesn't have to be Barbour of course, but they are really available.

I certainly agree about the weight of the Freedom jacket though, from the photos you posted it looks like a tank!

l0fielectronic

Postby l0fielectronic » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:39 am

I don't know what size you are but I notice theres a Mullholand Master on ebay at the moment.

thebluebus

Postby thebluebus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:11 pm

There's also a Ralph Lauren jacket in this style in heavy oil cloth with rear pockets and a belt. Good price too! Might be an option?

l0fielectronic

Postby l0fielectronic » Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 am

By all accounts there may be another run of these being made for the Mister Freedom 10th anniversary, for anyone still looking.

l0fielectronic

Postby l0fielectronic » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:12 pm

l0fielectronic wrote:By all accounts there may be another run of these being made for the Mister Freedom 10th anniversary, for anyone still looking.

For those with deep pockets, looks to be going on sale shortly... http://www.christopheloiron.com/mister- ... fall-2016/

Cmdr_Bong

Postby Cmdr_Bong » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:32 pm

thebluebus wrote:All depends on your budget for this, I suppose. There are also plenty of firms who will made you a similar jacket with unique details, forex: http://claymorejackets.co.uk/international.htm

Have you had any experience with Claymore jackets? To me the pictures provided for their jacket seems to be just the stock Belstaff photos with their label crudely photo-shopped onto it. No exactly a vote of confidence there. :thinking:
There are 3 rules to Procrastinating:

thebluebus

Postby thebluebus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:28 am

Cmdr_Bong wrote:
thebluebus wrote:All depends on your budget for this, I suppose. There are also plenty of firms who will made you a similar jacket with unique details, forex: http://claymorejackets.co.uk/international.htm

Have you had any experience with Claymore jackets? To me the pictures provided for their jacket seems to be just the stock Belstaff photos with their label crudely photo-shopped onto it. No exactly a vote of confidence there. :thinking:

No, none whatsoever. It's a random google result when I looked for alternatives.

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”