Belstaff Brooklands - fit and size guide?

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

diaboliq

Belstaff Brooklands - fit and size guide?

Postby diaboliq » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:36 pm

How does Belstaff Brooklands blouson fit? I know since they are not in Malenotti hands and now made in England, they have more traditional rather than fitted cut. How does it compare to say Malenotti Roadmaster?

Thanks

Too many jackets, too little time :(

diaboliq

Re: Belstaff Brooklands - fit and size guide?

Postby diaboliq » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm

P.S I am M size in Roadmaster (43" chest) and L/XL at leathers..

I have no clue what to expect from Brooklands.. Smaller or larger fit and if the M size would fit me...

topido

Postby topido » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:33 am

Ok, this is my experience.

I wear L/XL in leather Belstaff Jackets (XL in cougar/maple, L for the Indy Jkt).
I tried a Brooklands 4 years ago and the XL was the right size for me.
I am a 42 inch chest but I need 20 inches for shoulder to shoulder.

Hope that helps.

l0fielectronic

Postby l0fielectronic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:23 am

Haven't tried a newer model but given they still go up to a XXXXL as before, I can't imagine they've changed the cut that much. Didn't realise they were being made back in the UK. I did read they've put a new lining into the newer jackets to make them '100% waterproof' though I have to say the older model has always been pretty good regards that.

I'm a 44 in suits and have an older XXL which fits well though still has some breathing room. If you want any measurements let us know.

Don't have a roadmaster but I've generally been an XL in their non Pure Motorcyle jackets.

I actually had an XXXL for a couple of years as it was all they had left in the shop and I wanted one for a trip I was taking, that was always a little too big though still wearable. I eventally sold that and picked up the size down. Sizing may also depend if you are buying the jacket for a bike and so want to keep the armour in it or not.

Just did a quick measure and my old jacket measures around 23.5" across the chest and just under 20" at the waist.

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Hey diaboliq
As far as I know, none of the lines Belstaff makes are manufactured in the UK. Outside of some of their high-end leather items made in Italy, the rest are made in three factories located in Romania. That includes the majority of the pure motorcycle line and this model. In terms of the fit, it hasn't really changed since the new ownership came in. Most items in the motorcycle line are pretty much true to size items and not fashion fitted.

For example, in any of their standard fashion items I wear anywhere from an XL to an XXL. But I own a Large in there Tourist Trophy jacket. Mine is from the Malenotti-era. But I have tried on on more than one occasion the new Tourist Trophy from Labelux. The fit was exactly the same to me. This was the same for one I tried on the Mojave and then the Brooklands.

So definitely go with the size charts and you should be just fine. Just remember that the sizes because of the armor involved do fit a bit bulky. From my experience and that of my friends it may take a couple of tries to get the size you're looking for.

Funny little sidenote, did anybody else notice that they stop using British Millerain fabric?

I was speaking with a friend of mine in the UK who works with BM often and he told me that they no longer provided fabric for Belstaff. He said there wax cotton was made in another country now. When I asked if it was Romania, there was a pause followed by "No, think further east".

Hope this helped.
Stunt :thumbsup:
"Be water, my friend" - Bruce Lee

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Thank you for the comments gents.
Wow, I was sure I read they are moving manufacture to the UK and the fit will be roomier now.

I know how shocked I was when I saw Barbour was manufacturing in Bulgaria but Belstaff not using at least quintessentially British fabric to do the job right is downright outrageous. Even Timberland uses British Millerain for their wax jackets..

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm

l0fielectronic wrote:I'm a 44 in suits and have an older XXL which fits well though still has some breathing room. If you want any measurements let us know..

This would be great, thanks

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 pm

diaboliq wrote:I know how shocked I was when I saw Barbour was manufacturing in Bulgaria but Belstaff not using at least quintessentially British fabric to do the job right is downright outrageous. Even Timberland uses British Millerain for their wax jackets..

Barbour uses those factories in Bulgaria for their mass produced products only. The mainstays, Dept B, Barbour International, etc. They still manufacture quite a bit in the UK and Scotland. But in the past 10 years they've gotten twice as popular which is why those factories needed to be opened.

Now on the fabric front, the Malenotti's over a Matchless still swear by British Millerain. They refuse to use anything else. And all of their products are still are manufactured in Italy. Many of them by the same factory workers that used to work for them at Belstaff.

Another funny note, many of the old Belstaff workers walked off the job when Labelux decided to lower their pay three years ago. It's when the company fell into real financial trouble and was around the time they got rid of Slakin and Cooper. It was never covered by the media I don't think, but many in the fashion world knew exactly what was going on. I do believe now that Belstaff is headed SLIGHTLY in the right direction. But they are still losing money and have a long way to go.

Sorry to go off topic.
Stunt :grin:
"Be water, my friend" - Bruce Lee

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:34 pm

For me this is no off topic but a right way for this forum to go. Amazing, thanks Stunt! Always nice to find out things that are not covered by media.

l0fielectronic

Postby l0fielectronic » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:22 am

Barbour have such a large fashion based selection of jackets now, I've ordered things at 50% off from them and sent them back because they just weren't very nice and were very poorly and cheaply made. They've gone very much the way of Clarks shoes in being more a lifestyle brand than anything to do with quality, but no doubt they are selling more jackets for the moment. The Border and Bedale still seem to be about the same quality as they always were, though the linings pill a lot quicker on the new jackets, some of the colabs they do still seem high quality too.

Hadn't heard that about British Millerain, I saw a TV prog, about fakes last year and they were on that in the Belstaff section so I guess its quite a recent development.

That said 'British Millerain' too seems to have worked to become more of a brand in itself and to be seeking a lot more exposure, it seems you couldn't walk into a high street clothes store here in the UK without seeing a jacket with a big 'British Millerain' logo inside for the past couple of years.

diaboliq wrote:
l0fielectronic wrote:I'm a 44 in suits and have an older XXL which fits well though still has some breathing room. If you want any measurements let us know..

This would be great, thanks

As said, at the end above, a quick measure and my old jacket measures around 23.5" across the chest and just under 20" at the waist. If you wanted any other measurements just let me know what.

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 pm

l0fielectronic wrote:They've gone very much the way of Clarks shoes in being more a lifestyle brand than
That said 'British Millerain' too seems to have worked to become more of a brand in itself and to be seeking a lot more exposure, it seems you couldn't walk into a high street clothes store here in the UK without seeing a jacket with a big 'British Millerain' logo inside for the past couple of years.

I just bought Clarks Craftmaster line "EDWARD LORD" derby ankle boots (scotch grain) and I have to say it is by far my favourite pair of boots (aside from POrsche Design "Dublin")! Just because of the price / quality. Amazing build and of course Goodyear Welted. (OFF TOPIC BIGTIME!!! But at least keeps this forum alive)

I also sport some of their other field boots but these are well worth the price.

As for the Millerain..
Same as Harris Tweed unfortunately.. Niche product going mainstream = lack of quality in the long run.
Just sold my Barbour trooper (made in Bulgaria). I have to say the detailing was terrible. But still love my Bedale, Beaufort, Cowan Commando and International Suit (and all more than 8 years old, just rewaxed every year) and guess what -- all are made in England. Built to last..

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”