Tom Hardy "Dunkirk" jacket

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

CRB

Re: Tom Hardy "Dunkirk" jacket

Postby CRB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:52 am

So when costumer designers, manufacturers, and brands all start lying or not telling the whole truth I just give up. No one has any proof so why bother trying to justify anything. Take the Raiders jacket for example, 30 years on and no one exactly knows the clear history of the jacket. So many stories that I just dont care anymore and enjoy wearing the jacket I have (Bill Kelso one).

Back on topic, here is the ... Tom Hardy / a Tom Hardy / a similar jacket to the one in the movie / a shearling jacket / some WW2 thing*
At least they have the belt the right side on this one unlike the Cockpit USA one

* delete as applicable !
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

topido

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Postby topido » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:59 am

Jared_nomak wrote:
Jared_nomak wrote:
TheStuntman wrote:

The Cockpit USA jacket is a stunning item in person as I’ve seen and tried on two of them. That is truly money well spent.

But who were you talking to in the matchless store? Employees or one of the brothers?

I know for fact the modifications were made by the costume department both of the jackets you spoke of. This happens a lot with film productions. Once the jacket leaves their hands, whatever happens to it after that, including modifications is not up to them. And a lot of the time they really don’t have any idea of what has been done unless they’re looking extremely close. Take for example the Sarah Connor jacket in the last terminator film. That jacket was heavily modified and they had absolutely nothing to do with it once it left Italy. Same can be said for Harrison‘s jacket he wore in a deleted scene in 2049. Michele featured it on his Instagram and it never ended up in the final film. But he couldn’t have known that at the time he posted it.

The Malenottis don’t know everything, all they do is construct the original jacket. Beyond that, it’s a big question mark.

I’m going to have more info to share very soon about this specific process that should clear some things up.

Sorry if any of this came off as borderline hostile, had a VERY rough week.

Stunt :facepalm:

Hi

I certainly hope the Cockpit USA Jacket lived up to expectations.

Accepted it was an employee from the shop not one of the brothers.

Firstly I was told that there was only 700 of each of the colours of the bond jacket, but we know that was not correct.

Then they said they designed the jacket for the bond film, it was a direct copy of a John Varvatos jacket that I have the same one worn in the martial.

Then they said the made the Dunkirk Jacket.

There were lots of other things.

Yes I am well aware production make changes to jackets and that could be different to off the shelf stuff.

But the Morroco Jacket was a direct copy of the Brown JV just the colour was changed but this was not made by JV as they couldn’t or wouldn’t.

No offence taken

Also I know things can get cut but the fact the employee said so much that was wrong just put me off buying from them.

I had thought about buying the Tom Jacket and the Dean jacket but was really put off because of this.

Ross

Hey, I have the opportunity to get one as a "good" price. Is it true to size?

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 am

The Tom jacket or Cockpit USA?

Stunt
"Be water, my friend" - Bruce Lee

topido

Postby topido » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 am

TheStuntman wrote:The Tom jacket or Cockpit USA?

Stunt

The cockpit :)

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:43 am

I have personally tried on a large and an extra large. The XL fit me much better. So I would say the coat is true to size. If you can pick up the coat for a good price, I would.

Stunt

Jared_nomak

Postby Jared_nomak » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:51 pm

I have a 40.5 inch chest and have just bought a 40 Cockpit USA raf jacket and it’s a perfect fit
If you are selling any of these:
Layer Cake Jacket
Lockout Jacket
Kirk Diesel jacket L
Total Recall - All Saints 40
Blade Runner Decker Coat
Blade Runner 2049 coat
RIPD Jacket gstar
Belstaff dark knight
Belstaff wow
Belstaff indy

whiskey_thumbs

Postby whiskey_thumbs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 am

That does look a lot like the Matchless jacket.

Here are some pics i took whilst trying on the Matchless...

Again, felt great, super warm and soft, surprisingly lightweight, but the fit felt very boxy, cuffs were baggy and when fully zipped it looked really bad.

This was a Large,ideally i would have tried a medium, they want £1600.

https://imgur.com/a/9MnLX

Cockpit USA looks considerably more wearable and better fitting.

Cheers
Last edited by whiskey_thumbs on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l0fielectronic

Postby l0fielectronic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 am

Great to actual see a definite Matchless one :thumbsup:

Agree on the sleeves, quite odd that.

Having said that I recently tried the Ivin from What Price Glory and on that too the sleeves were a little wide when fully zipped - though not this bad! I liked the WPG jacket overall but unfortunatley it arrived damaged so I had to return it. I would've likely had a replacement but the loose sleeves on that put me off.

I guess to be fair these jackets were made to fit over a full unform originally so may fit a little loose over a jumper - but all the 'high end' repros have snug fitting wrists when fully zipped I'm told, hence the zips in the first place.

whiskey_thumbs wrote:

Have to agree on that... Maybe thats why they keep posting photos of it :wink:

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 am

whiskey_thumbs wrote:That does look a lot like the Matchless jacket.

Here are some pics i took whilst trying on the Matchless...

Again, felt great, super warm and soft, surprisingly lightweight, but the fit felt very boxy, cuffs were baggy and when fully zipped it looked really bad.

This was a Large,ideally i would have tried a medium, they want £1600.

Cheers

Hey brother
Tried to look at the photographs but all it’s giving me on mobile at least is that stupid message from Photobucket to “upgrade your account for third-party hosting“. That is the reason I’m moving accounts when it comes to my photos.

Stunt

CRB

Postby CRB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am

That's odd,I can see them. I'm also affected by that Photobucket nonsense, all my old pics are now non viewable. I use imgur now ...
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am

CRB wrote:That's odd,I can see them. I'm also affected by that Photobucket nonsense, all my old pics are now non viewable. I use imgur now ...

Yeah for some reason, I still cant see them.
BUT....downloaded images, deleted images on PB, deleted PB account.
Moved to IMGUR

Stunt

whiskey_thumbs

Postby whiskey_thumbs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Uploaded to imgur, says they are too large to insert so here’s a link:

https://imgur.com/a/9MnLX

Ta

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:56 pm

THANK YOU WHISKEY!
I think the jacket looks good, but I agree with everybody else that the fit is much better on the Cockpit jacket.

I’ll have to try it on when I get to London soon. Think I will bring my mom at the shop, best critic of all.

Stunt

Tiberius

Postby Tiberius » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 am

Some thoughts, gentlemen...

CRB - Whilst I fully understand and agree with your concerns over transparency from manufacturers, costume designers and departments, and of course the retail stores and their employees, the fact of the matter is that no one has to tell us the truth about anything. The stores exist to push product, that is all, and if they can do so by stretching the truth to the majority of customers (who, by sheer numbers, are uninformed to say the least), then they will. Costume designers want to increase their reputation in the industry by claiming certain designs, and larger manufacturers may be restricted in their communications by non-disclosure clauses and legal issues that we may not be aware of. The difficulty exists for us who are attempting to get to 'the original', of whatever jacket it may be. Sometimes it's easy, like the JAL from Minority Report, and other times it will be impossible, like the Raiders jacket. I think Stunt's point is extremely relevant here; there are so many levels of failure when trying to determine the provenance of a jacket that we cannot always rely on people who were involved because on the one hand they may have had nothing to do with the final item used on screen and/or they may have their own personal reasons to obfuscate the truth.

Like many on this forum, I have been 'burned' by misinformation being advertised; for a long time Wested claimed to have made jackets for specific shows and movies, and only in the past few years, after they were called out on it (by some members of this community as well as others), did they modify their website to say 'such-and-such STYLE jacket'. Now, Wested was not the only guilty party, but they just happened to be the company that benefited financially from my lack of knowledge at the time. Think of the atrocious Star Wars jackets that Matchless produced, and how many customers may have thought they were getting what was worn in the film. Today we still have a problem determining if Schott's One-Star Perfecto was used in The Wild One; they claim it was, and they sell lots of them because of it, but there is evidence to suggest that it was a modified Durable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is probably what you and many others on this forum already know; occasionally we have to accept that our genuine interest in leather jackets used onscreen is an interest that runs contrary or even directly against the interests of the people involved in creating them. A sad truth in our world, but one that I'm not convinced can be changed for the better permanently.

Now, to everyone regarding the fit of this jacket.

Have I missed something? My understanding is that historically these jackets were worn over lots of other clothing and occasionally equipment; they weren't designed to fit like a second skin of any sort, at least, not the way that we'd see a cafe racer fit. The 'boxiness' of the cut of the jacket has always been an integral part of the jacket's design; after all, if you're flying, you're most likely to be sitting down and not standing, and the jacket is likely to be zipped up and fully belted at all times to protect you from sub-zero temperatures at altitude. The big cuffs would not only have to accommodate the uniform/flying suit being worn but also heavy shearling gloves or mittens depending on the mission...the cuffs could never be streamlined the way they are on motorcycle jackets. To wear this jacket unzipped and unbelted would be akin to wearing a suit vest unbuttoned or a pair of jeans unzipped...it's impractical.

I think we're in danger of applying expectations to the design of a jacket that practically speaking the jacket was never designed to fulfill. The Dunkirk jacket posted by whiskey_thumbs, in my eyes, looks wrong, precisely because of the fit. It's not boxy enough (!) It actually looks to me like a 'fashion' jacket in the 'style' of a B3, the design appropriated but modified for streetware. Incidentally, the jacket used in 'Fury' by Brad Pitt has the same issues, in many ways, regarding fit; it's balloony in certain places, because the design is practical, and for the purpose. However it tends to have the same problems in walking life; stomach has too much room, shoulders are billowy, etc..

It's just a thought. I know that fit matters, of course, and that few if any of us would be wearing this jacket for the purpose it was originally designed for. But I think there's a distinction we have to make when we critique the execution of a jacket style when comparing manufacturers; are these design flaws (like the large cuffs) due to the original purpose of the garment, or are they design flaws executed by the manufacturer appropriating and modifying the design to suit their individual aesthetic? Something to think about.

T.
Nihil tam incertum nec tam inaestimabile est quam animus multitudinis.
- Titus Livius

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”