Star WarsThe Force Awakens Finn/ John Boyega Jacket

If there is a particular jacket that you would like to find more information about, please enter it in this section. We will work at trying to get the information added to the site.

Moderator: Mike

smirkingrevenge

Postby smirkingrevenge » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:41 am

I know it's early days and pictures and informationn are thin on the ground at the moment, but I am loving this jacket.

The information at the exhibit says that it's Nubuck. We know that Michael Kaplan is the costume designer for the film and his go to guy for jackets is Jonathan A Logan, this does have a slight JAL asthetic to the desgin and build, it also has a 70s feel to it, reminisant of the Origianl Trilogy, which is probably what has piqued my interest. I really like the red shoulder. I did ask Jonathan over the summer if he was involved at all and he denied it, but then, he'd have to. If anyone has any info, please do share. I saw on Facebook that Mr. Magnoli is in the process of attempting a replica and i'd be very interested in seeing what he comes up with.

Cheers All

Rupes
None of you understand. I'm not locked in here with you. It is you who is locked in with me.

CRB

Postby CRB » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:29 am

Never too early for a new film jacket ! Nice find on the photos!

Indy Magnoli

Re: Star WarsThe Force Awakens Finn/ John Boyega Jacket

Postby Indy Magnoli » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Here's our finished Finn Jacket:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/finn-ja ... p-646.html

And here it is in action:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
+Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam+
http://www.magnoliclothiers.com

Aijn

Postby Aijn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:09 am

Consider to buy the matchless version, any one got it from them? Just curios about the leather and the jacket fit.
"Unity in Diversity"

smirkingrevenge

Postby smirkingrevenge » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:20 am

Michael Kaplan historically has always used Jonathan A Logan. Obviously he is going to be sworn to secrecy. But might be worth asking him if he made them since he will still have the original leather. The red is very close to 'Fight club' red that he uses for those jackets.
None of you understand. I'm not locked in here with you. It is you who is locked in with me.

smirkingrevenge

Postby smirkingrevenge » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:21 am

Michael Kaplan historically has always used Jonathan A Logan. Obviously he is going to be sworn to secrecy. But might be worth asking him if he made them since he will still have the original leather. The red is very close to 'Fight club' red that he uses for those jackets.

Castor Dioscuri

Postby Castor Dioscuri » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Maybe asking him wouldn't be the right word; if he were sworn to secrecy, that wouldn't get us very far anyway.

What might work though might be to commission him to make a pattern based on the movie jacket, and see where that goes... :wink:

smirkingrevenge

Postby smirkingrevenge » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:50 am

Turns out, it was Matchless. A, the copy available to the public is very expensive, B it's horrendously inaccurate,

https://www.stuartslondon.com/coats-jac ... Apwo8P8HAQ

Think I would be going with the Magnoli version for this.

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:01 pm

Well Matchless are making licensed Star Wars Jackets, but that doesn't mean they made the movie ones, and I haven't seen anywhere where they have stated they did. But I am willing to be set right on that.
"Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

Cmdr_Bong

Postby Cmdr_Bong » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:29 pm

The whole Matchless Star Wars collection is abit of a cop-out IMHO. The only items there that is even remotely similar to their source material is the Han Solo Jacket and the Leia waistcoat. The rest are south of "Inspired by". :wtf:
There are 3 rules to Procrastinating:

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Hey
While I'm not permitted to say certain things about the situation, as I'm not sure what I'm allowed to state in detail. I can tell you that Matchless has made pieces for films that they have not publicized. Some of them being designs which never end up seeing the light of day outside of the film itself. It makes no sense to me, but that's business. From what I've been told they did have a hand in making items for Episode VII, Rogue One and Episode VIII. And that is from direct sources within the company. Now, whether or not those items ever end up being used is another question.

One of the things that still bothers me to this day is the fact of not releasing 1:1 replicas. There are a lot of alterations made obviously between the film garments and what they need to be able to functionally do and replicas made for the public. But I can agree in some situations it makes no sense to make a certain jacket for the public that may not be able to function as a standard garment.

Stunt :)
"Be water, my friend" - Bruce Lee

whiskey_thumbs

Postby whiskey_thumbs » Thu May 12, 2016 3:45 am

It is a great feeling jacket.
My one big issue is the colour, Instead of the tapue/sand leather of the film version, it is a muted green.
The first images of the jacket Matchless released looked more colour accurate compared to the final version they released
Image[/URL]

I have had size small since December and i Love it more everytime I wear it, I also really like this black version recently released:
http://www.matchlesslondon.com/en/finn- ... ens-8.html

the_rockhound

Postby the_rockhound » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Looks like they ditched Matchless for Rogue one, some design similarities though..

http://www.columbia.com/rogue-one-landi ... te#jacket3

smirkingrevenge

Postby smirkingrevenge » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:00 am

I love the Andor Parka. Was lookijg for one of those last week and all i could find was crap. No prices which is annoying. Any body know what sort of price range the company sells at?

Update: they're going to be $500. Thamks but no thanks.

Castor Dioscuri

Postby Castor Dioscuri » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Between the list of inaccuracies in details and material, I strongly suspect that Matchless did NOT make the jackets seen in Episode VII.

Where is the proof that they did? I've been combing press releases that they put out, trying to find confirmation, and so far all I've been able to read is phrasing vague enough so that while they confirm they worked with Disney, while giving themselves plausible deniability should fans assume they made the jackets. I mean, why wouldn't they directly say that they helped make the jackets outright? Modesty? I think not, especially since they've been very vocal about this with movies they've made in the past. Please prove me wrong, but the only indication I can find of articles attributing the wardrobe to Matchless is based on assumptions in articles from websites with questionable journalistic abilities.

Consider this quote, from the only source that directly states Matchless made the jackets seen on screen.

Italian-owned British motorcycle maker Matchless outfitted the cast of the upcoming film in its leather jackets. It has also produced a 16-piece fashion line, featuring a Hans Solo jacket and an Obi Wan Kenobi leather parka, priced from £200 to £1300 (about $302 to £1964). “It helps to change the meaning of our brand,” says Michele Malenotti, owner and chief executive officer of Matchless. While he declined to reveal revenues, Malenotti says the Darth Vader-inspired zip-up leather blouson has been the collection’s greatest hit at retail thus far.

Hans Solo? What happened to proof-reading?

With that in mind, consider the following. The only time Malenotti publicly addressed Star Wars was in saying how he loved it as a kid, and how he wanted to create a new direction for the company. Either that, or the below quote, in which he explicitly states the collection was "inspired" by Star Wars, not based on preexisting designs.

"Matchless chief executive officer Michele Malenotti revamped looks from the prequel, the trilogy and the upcoming “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which opens on Dec. 17. He took inspiration from Darth Vader, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Princess Leia and new characters, Rey and Finn, who are featured in the upcoming film.

“We wanted the Star Wars inspired jacket designs to represent the individuality of each character... with this Matchless collection,” said Michele Malenotti, Director of Matchless.

Return to “Jacket Requests and Information”