Does anyone....

This is a place to discuss things that are related to FILMJACKETS.COM that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Mike

DavidCoppola

Does anyone....

Postby DavidCoppola » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 pm

....have any leather jacket stores near them. We used to here in Rochester, NY....but outside of one or two cycle shops....nothing here anymore.
Occasionally I will see ONE style, usually a generic bomber at Macy's here....
Of course there is the "pleather" shit jackets...

Wondering why?

Blink

Re: Does anyone....

Postby Blink » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:31 am

Nope, all gone now.

I'd say because of ease of availability and abundance of options - here in the UK you can pick up a leather jacket in any clothing store for a reasonable price now. High street stores all have a number of options, and with the internet you can pick up a leather jacket from anywhere. Most online stores offer free postage and returns, so it's really no hassle.

Of course, the range and quality, though good, isn't to the standards the majority of you would want, but for the average buyer? It's a goldmine.

It used to be that if you wanted a leather jacket, you'd have to commute into London or a large city, and if you wanted a vintage leather jacket, you'd have no choice other than to go to Camden or Portobello Market. With ebay and the internet, you don't have to make that trip at all. Nearly all the vintage jacket stores in Camden are long gone now.

CRB

Postby CRB » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 am

Depends what you mean by Leather Jacket shop? If you mean a shop that sells ONLY leather jackets (like Matchless or Belstaff - but even those extra things) then there haven't really ever been many leather jacket shops anyway, that would be quite a niche. You've got Schott In NYC and places like Wilsons that spring to mind. I'm totally spoilt working in London of course, I'd only need to go to Selfridges to have a pretty big selection of decent brands of jackets - and 100 other things also.
But as my right honourable friend says, the Internet stores can pretty much let you try on a jacket these days with free to and return postage options. I think stores in general will continue to be on a gradual decline with the coming of the Internet.

(I could have posted this post in 2000 and it would be exactly the same story!)
Belstaff Hero, Police, Marten, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

ShieldFan

Postby ShieldFan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:20 am

Not counting cycle and specialty shops there are two, a Wilson's Leather Outlet located in an outlet mall on the outskirts of my town and Overland. The mid tier department stores that used to stock a reasonable number of fashion leather like Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Kenneth Cole, etc. now offer next to nothing in leather. Even the higher end stores don't offer what they used to.

The most reliable stores lately have been the Lucky Brand store, which stocks several leather jackets every season, and a local store called McLovin, which stocks Schott NYC jackets.

Return to “FILMJACKETS.COM Related”