Reign of Fire: Denton Van Zan - Altered Bomber/shemagh

If you have ever seen an actor wearing a particular jacket off-screen, in candid photos or maybe just jackets that appeared in a movie for a fleeting moment, this is the place to post them. Who knows? We may find it for you.

Moderator: Mike

superDrool

Re: Reign of Fire: Denton Van Zan - Altered Bomber Vest

Postby superDrool » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:50 am

I noticed that last night going back through this thread, and wondered the same thing. Maybe an early deleted scene. I wish it could easily be explained but it can't.
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

Kittlemeier

Postby Kittlemeier » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:59 am

superDrool wrote:I'm assuming the zipper pull tab means nothing? I realize that's an easy piece to add on for looks, but do you think that it was an add-on or original to the jacket?

Knew I had seen it somewhere. They both have that folded paper clip look. Makes me think fashion jacket even more. Also, in the first pic the pockets look nothing like the rest of the jacket, may not mean anything as the same thing is the case with the Alpha B3, but they may be an add on.
ImageImage
"I am reminded that if ignorance is a wellspring of fear, righteousness is its favorite refuge."

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:32 am

Yeah, you're right about that. Zipper tab looks dead on to Rick's open road( I was looking at this jacket just yesterday too!), but it could have been an additional after thought. I think at this point the only leads we have are the front pockets and the epaulets that buckle up. There are not too many bomber styles that have both, which stand out really among them, if you search for hours looking. :wink:
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

Mr.BoJingles

Postby Mr.BoJingles » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:31 pm

The stitching on the pockets looks different than the stitching around the zipper, not to mention the leather. I think they added the front pockets onto the jacket, maybe they did the same with the epaulets.

shadow121

Postby shadow121 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:12 am

cool vest, would like to see heron produce a replica of it

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:55 am

That is always a good possible, not to mention logical route to take if you can't find the original...have someone else replicate it for you on the cheap. :wink:
I may venture down that road if nothing turns up.
The screen worn bomber looks to be authentic sheep, which could throw a monkey wrench in the pricetag. :?
Sourcing the real deal is a pricey option, but to keep cost and time down, Sherpa is always a good way to go.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:08 pm

I broke down last week and purchased a tan/black shemagh for $10 on ebay similar to the green version of the Denton character. I had to see what all the hoopla was al about with these things. It's big and weighs about 1/2 pound but is woven loosey to breathe but rolled up can retain warmth very well. What drew me to buy was the unique pattern it had.

zamg

Re: Reign of Fire: Denton Van Zan - Altered Bomber/shemagh

Postby zamg » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:30 pm

(I know this is an old thread, but I thought this might help if anyone is still interested.)

I just saw the movie a couple days ago and I really dug the vest so I searched around and taking note of the details on the vest that everyone already discussed, I found two things:

One is and L.L.Bean "Flying Tigers Jacket" It hasn't got the same thickness to the lining as the movie one/B-3, but it does have the flap pockets and epaulets. There's also an elastic waist band at the bottom which I don't think looks as cool as having the lining poking out. Also, the lining is white but the wool lining on the collar is black. If someone had the cash they might be able to have it relined like the B-3. (Can you do that?) If you could do that I would say that it would be pretty damn close to the movie one.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/23787?pi=298474&qs=3012739-Google_Base&subrnd=0

Second is an already made "B-3" bomber sheepskin vest. No epaulets or flap pockets though. It's from some mail order/online store in Minnesota.
http://bomberjacket.us.com/B3-sheepskin-vest.html

Kittlemeier

Postby Kittlemeier » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:13 pm

So I've been thinking about those buckle epaulets and had a moment of clarity.

What do you think? Looks to me like a fashion B-3, Schott has the right zipper pull but I haven't seen the collar buckles, that had the sleeves cut off and custom pockets added. The collar shape is right, the storm flap is right, and now the relocated buckles make perfect sense.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fabri ... bomber.htm

Here's another brand with close buckles and the right pull.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-B-3-ARMY-ST ... 897wt_1141
"I am reminded that if ignorance is a wellspring of fear, righteousness is its favorite refuge."

Kittlemeier

Postby Kittlemeier » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 pm

Couple of new shots. Weird turned up waist but the back seams definitely look like B-3.
Image Image

Unfortunately the back doesn't match the Schott, but IMO the exact jacket doesn't really matter as it's been altered in so many ways. Doesn't mean I've stopped looking.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:02 am

Awesome catch on the Schott, Kittle! The 'cross' piping looks spot on, as the rest does seem to match up.
I'd have to agree on the relocated buckles they are the same style and would make sense. The cut is form fitting, so what size it was (probably a 42-44, judging on the fact that was he was at his bulkiest then) The flipped up waist was probably due to creating the 'hero' look and adding that waist-line appeal. But pointing out like that in photo form it looks pretty last minute and cheesey. :roll:
Bummed about the pockets though. I don't recall seeing those from any other jacket to canabalize. I might have to make my own. But as long as I have enough clear screenshots and the proper leather, anything can be created! Mwaahahaha!! :twisted:

superDrool

Re: JACKET!

Postby superDrool » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 am

Herr Terror wrote:This is awesome Superdrool, I've been wanting that jacket for years, badly enough that I was actually looking for the costume designer's contact info (no luck). I ended up buying a modified Schott yesterday with external hand pockets - not the same, and more of a biker coat, but should still look awesome. Plus the cut should have the same form-fit and taper from the movie - not that puffy look many B3s have, which would look kinda stupid with the sleeves gone.

Funny enough, I think Herr was on the right track with this without even knowing it. :lol:
It crossed my mind that the liner/wool looked dirtied-up or is that the actual color of the wool? :thinking:

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:29 pm

I just purchased two brass and tan zipper tapes and dropped off my Wilson's brand Bomber jacket off at the shoe shop to be messed with later. I'll keep posting updates on how my custom Van Zan vest goes.
The pocket will be a whole 'nother ball of wax. :thinking:
If I'm able to pull this off, I'll be able to wear it for Halloween and next winter. :cool:
Oh, I need to purchase a flag patch too...unless there is someone out there that has one and is willing to part with it (hint, hint).
I was toying with the idea if an non reverse IR flag patch (if they exist) those are way cooler.

-Tony

Return to “Miscellaneous Jackets”