Deutsche Staats Polizei Leder Jacke

If you have ever seen an actor wearing a particular jacket off-screen, in candid photos or maybe just jackets that appeared in a movie for a fleeting moment, this is the place to post them. Who knows? We may find it for you.

Moderator: Mike

Herr Michael

Deutsche Staats Polizei Leder Jacke

Postby Herr Michael » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi guys. Although this isn't about a TV or movie jacket I thought a few of you might be interested in this model.

This is one of a few different styles of jacket that was issued to German police officers. It is not a motorcycle jacket as they are issued separate cycle protective clothing.

I think these were dumped on the market around 2009/10 time frame but I could be off a year or two in either direction. The German police have changed from their traditional green/tan uniforms to American style blue uniforms and I think the leather was discontinued as an issue item. All I have seen of recent photos of German police have them wearing what looks like a cotton/poly blend jacket or coat. No leather anymore. The jacket has a date of 2007 on the tag with the maker.

Several surplus dealers have been selling these on and off for the last five years or so and I'v had my eye on this particular style at least a couple of years. I haven't had a new leather jacket since I bought the Bond coat from Wested, so here it is. Bought it from Mcguire Army/Navy out of New Jersey. They have an internet and brick and mortar store as well as an e-Bay store. Shipping was 2-day and probably rolled into the cost of $149.00 that I paid for the jacket. I've seen them as low as $120, so I'm certain my shipping wasn't 'free'. It was a brand new unissued, with tags (in German) jacket.

This seems to be either a medium weight lamb or goat leather with virtually no grain and a flat finish. I have a Cooper A2 from the late eighties when the Air Force started to issue the A2 again and it's heavier than the goatskin in the Cooper.

The maker is Beckumer Leder, supplier of flight jackets for the Luftwaffe among other work oriented leather clothing. http://www.beckumerleder.de

The stitching is even and nicely done, double straight rows in some areas like the sleeve/body attachment. Details include functioning epaulets, two snap down flapped patch pockets, two snap down internal flapped pockets, two internal pockets, zippered sleeves, a neck strap for securing the collar that snaps up out of the way (see photo), and a cotton/rayon? neck protector that snaps into the inside of the collar and lays flat on the outside. This is to make the collar more comfortable as well as protect the leather from skin oil and sweat while wearing it. I like that feature and it's removable for washing.

There are also ample sized hand warmer pockets behind the lower flap pockets. They are unlined. There is also a cigarette pack sleeve pocket with three pen/pencil slots. The zippers are all YKK of medium size. Not a super heavy duty like you might find on a motorcycle jacket, but sufficiently sturdy for the job, and they are metal. The jacket is lined in leather, cotton/poly, and satin in the sleeves for easy on/off. It is uninsulated except for the lining so on the coldest days a fleece hoodie or medium weight sweater would be required.

It is a semi-snug fit. I don't know how else to describe it. It is roomy enough to move in, but like most leather jackets without a bi-swing back, the sleeves will ride up your wrists if you raise your arms or stretch. I don't much like that, but I can live with it. The fit is not as close as a standard A2 but closer than maybe a casual leather jacket might be, say an Indy style.

I didn't want a leather motorcycle jacket nor a cafe style with no collar, but something functional with enough pockets to carry the junk around I take with me as well as hide a small semi-auto pistol. I think it is a well made, German-made, reasonably priced leather jacket for casual or work wear. The POLIZEI lettering on the back is really a medium grey until the light reflects off of it as my flash has done. It seems to be nothing more than a heavy-duty adhesive tape product that could be carefully removed, perhaps with a little help from a hair drier on low or medium heat.

I'm leaving it the way it is for now and there are no local or state restriction on its wear in public with this lettering or even the Polizei patch on the sleeve.

It fits great and feels good to wear. Great for out walking the dog, or a quick trip to the store.

Herr Michael

Re: Deutsche Staats Polizei Leder Jacke

Postby Herr Michael » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:29 am

I found out it's cow. Nice cow too. I don't know how it was tanned though. It's soft and not too stiff. Maybe chrome tanned.

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Now this is cool! And the coat of arms is actually NRW Polizei (Nordrhein-Westfalen / North Rhine Westphalia German State, with cities such as Cologne, Düsseldorf, Aachen, Bonn, Essen...). Looks really cool but I ilcan imagine, I could get handcuffed over here by wearing that :D. All the State insignia must be blacked out or scraped off for general public.

DIABOLIQSTRAPS >>>
www.facebook.com/diaboliqstrapshandmade

diaboliqstraps(at)gmail.com
Too many jackets, too little time :(

Herr Michael

Postby Herr Michael » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:03 pm

I've since changed the patch to Bayern and added a Diensthundführer patch to the other sleeve. It's very comfortable.

I can't believe what a deal these jackets are if you can find a new one. I think this would easily sell for $400+/- in the US if they were in regular retail stores.

diaboliq

Postby diaboliq » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Enabler.. now I will have to search for this one..
Too many jackets, too little time :(

Return to “Miscellaneous Jackets”