Leathers Club / LEATHERSCLUB.COM

This forum is to be used to discuss shady practices, deceptive claims, poor quality merchandise, misleading practices, etc. This section is not to be used as a complaint outlet towards established vendors, but as a constructive and useful tool about the business practices of new/lesser known vendors.

Moderator: Mike

calciferjenkins

Leathers Club / LEATHERSCLUB.COM

Postby calciferjenkins » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:09 pm

ADMIN EDIT: ORIGINAL SUBJECT LINE FOR THIS TOPIC READ: Has anyone bought from "leathersclub-uk"?

Here is a listing of theirs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-LEON-Resident-Evil-6-Kennedy-Horror-Gaming-Black-Military-Leather-Jacket-/280958921578

I don't have any reason to suspect them at all. But after looking at the hall of shame section a little bit, I feel a little paranoid? Has anyone had experience with them? The high feedback does not make me feel safe, as I have seen other eBay pages with 100% good feedback and I've still read bad things about them on this site. If this is the wrong place to ask the question I apologise.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Re: Has anyone bought from "leathersclub-uk"?

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 pm

I have said this in many forms and it really bears repeating. Be paranoid. That means you have good instincts and they are trying to tell you something.

UK? US? The Registrant Contact, Administrative Contact, Technical Contact and the Billing Contact are all the same person, from Malaysia. When you read the "About" section of the site, it claims that "We have been in this business for years and our client’s testimonials are clear indication of the service level as well as product quality we offer." The site was created on December 09, 2010 at 14:44:43 - not even two years.

• When a vendor uses the film name, character name, actor name, etc. always dig deeper, because it is a violation of copyright law and constitutes theft of intellectual property.
  • When you see images of the celebrities or screen captures or production stills used to sell jackets, always question the site.
  • When you see words, sentences and descriptions that do not seem to make sense, question the validy of the site. Not to say that there is anything wrong with vendors from another country selling replica jackets because there is not - but just think about the lack of effort put into proof-reading the site. The same site that is asking for your money cannot be bothered to have a proofreader who is fluent in the language of those to who they are advertising?
  • Look at what the site offers you, other than the chance to spend your hard-earned money.
  • When you see "odd" jackets on the site, like the Scary Movie Bobby Prinze jacket you know that the manufacturers have come here and randomly "borrowed" ideas without having an understanding of what the consumer wants. The same thing with the Battle of Britain Luftwaffe Jacket - which was confirmed to me personally by Derek from Lewis Leathers, the company who manufactured the jacket. It is not a high-demand jacket. Not that it has to be, but it should raise a red flag.
  • When a site steals the image of Bruce Willis' stunt double (Eric Buarque, who we have had personal communication with) to advertise the Die Hard 4 jacket, I would question it. :lol:
  • When you see a jacket for < $200 USD that is supposed to be high quality and accurate, I would question it.
  • When a jacket description tells you about what the film is about, instead of giving the jacket details, I would question it.
  • When nearly every image on that site, has a corresponding image that was posted here first, I would question the authenticity of the site.

Ask the manufacturer for a picture of a weird detail about the jacket. The inside of the left handwarmer pocket, for example. You will more than likely get nothing in return because the jacket either does not exist yet, or they made one for someone and took images for the site before shipping it off to the unsuspecting customer. Just make sure that you can tell it is the correct jacket and not some stolen image of a left pocket from a random jacket taken from the internet.

To answer your question - I have not purchased a jacket from them. Never will either for the reasons mentioned.
Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. -- Ryunosuke Satoro

Sean Mallory

Postby Sean Mallory » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 am

Rick wrote:[*]When you see a jacket for < $200 USD that is supposed to be high quality and accurate, I would question it.

I've recently bought for just a little more than $200 a jacket which is of high quality and very accurate !
Hey!wait a minute...It was from FILMJACKETS.COM , where else could one have such an opportunity?
Thanks Rick for your hard work , and sorry calciferjenkins to derail this thread but MY BRUNO HALFBELT IN 5150 LEATHER IS REALLY AWSOME ! :grin:
" I used to believe in many things, all of it! Now, I believe only in dynamite." -John H. Mallory
" An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." -Mahatma Gandhi
" Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth." -Blaise Pascal

calciferjenkins

Postby calciferjenkins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 am

Thank you very much for the information, I will make sure to remember it. Does this mean i should also be wary of wested.com? I had heard good things of them, but they make mention of character names and film names, which is a violation of copyright as you have said. They don't use any pictures from the film though, and the price converted is more than 200 dollars. I can try to ask for a picture of an inside pocket as you suggest, that sounds like a clever idea. Thank you very much for your help.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:59 am

Please note that Wested has actually manufactured jackets for films and television shows, but sometimes the line is a bit blurred as to which ones. Having manufactured some jackets they may be allowed to use those names. They are a reputable business. As far as their prices go, Wested has done a great job of keeping their prices reasonable, even though most companies who manufacturer jackets that were used in films and/or television charge astronomical costs for their replicas.

The idea is not to only take one of the items from the laundry list above and condemn a manufacturer for it - but instead, when you start noticing multiple red flags sent up by some of these vendors, then it should raise your suspicions. Then you should scrutinize the manufacturer/vendor very carefully because you are putting your money at risk.

calciferjenkins

Postby calciferjenkins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:14 am

Ah, I see. Thank you again for your help. I apologise for all the questions, but I am very new at this.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:29 am

You do not have to apologize for asking questions here. We are here to help educate the consumer. Honestly, we sell jackets, but it does not matter to us if you buy from us or not. We hope you do, but our goal is that you are 100% satisfied with your purchase - regardless of where you get it. We have referred many customers to other vendors who we feel could better meet their needs, and other customers have come to us after being referred by other vendors.

The thing is, there may be customers who are very happy with what they receive from these Hall of Shame companies. It does not make the company any more reputable, it does not make them more ethical, and it does not make the quality of their items any better. It just means that the customer may have received an item that was adequate for their needs and expectations.

But when you at the images of the actual jackets that are manufactured by the HOS companies, compare them to the jackets seen on film, then read rave reviews about these same jackets - it may be telling you that the customer does not have such high expectations.

Of course, that is provided any of that feedback is real. I doubt it is. We have sold a lot of jackets and have only 3 reviews. But, I guarantee they are real customers. In fact, they are members here and you can ask them directly. :grin:

calciferjenkins

Postby calciferjenkins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:42 am

Thank you :smile: The only other question I think I have is about the size of westeds jackets. On their website the jacket is listed as small, medium, large, and extra large, but I don't know what the measurements for those sizes are exactly. Does anybody know anything about how big those sizes are? I have sent an email to wested@wested.com, but I have not had a reply yet, and I'm not 100% certain that I sent the email to the correct address.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:23 am

wested@wested.com is the contact information that is given on the site, so it should be the correct e-mail address. Consider alternate methods of communication such as Tel: 0044 1322 660654 and/or Fax: 0044 1322 667039 as sometimes Wested is slow at returning e-mails.

calciferjenkins

Postby calciferjenkins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 am

Thank you :smile: I think I will phone them later today.

calciferjenkins

Re: Leathers Club

Postby calciferjenkins » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 am

I'm having problems contacting them. I'm calling from within the uk, and have tried the numbers 0044 1322 660654 and 01322 660654, one of which you have given me, and both of which I have found on their website. The first number isn't recognised, and the second number doesn't even make the phone ring. My phone is working with other numbers. I will try again tomorrow to phone them, as I've heard that it is the best way to contact them. Some people seem to have had problems when contacting them by email, but have found them to be very helpful over the phone.

Return to “Hall of Shame”