"The Terminator" Jacket

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

lpyyxw

Re: "The Terminator" Jacket

Postby lpyyxw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Current production T1, not accurate in terms of hardwares and leather, but top stitch allowance, overall pattern still correct. ImageImage

fifthchamber

Postby fifthchamber » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:41 pm

Sure thing.....You said there was no T1 with an opening in the back, and I showed a clear photo with what looks to be exactly that...A clear opening in the back, and now you're insisting that the original maker has the same pattern now and that's that....Well, cool..Wested did the same thing, all the way through, and I'd say the same to them...I love their work, and it IS the "original and best".......I have no complaints at all about the Bates design, it's lovely.....But for me, what I saw in the film, matched closely to what I saw in the Cady design, and no one else has that....It's an interesting point, a cool design, and is rare enough to stand out......So, I liked a jacket with that, over and above the "OG design"......(Plus, it's cheaper....)

You said there was no opening, I showed clear evidence of it, at least in one scene.....And yeah, it is also clear to me that in other scenes, it's either harder to see, or they're using a different jacket entirely, because it's not as clear...But in the scene I showed, it does, clearly seem to be open....

Now, saying that's just "how the seam falls on thin leather" is reasonable....But it's a bit of a leap........I prefer to run with the easier option, that they had a jacket with a slight opening in the back, for whatever reason......My proof was asked for, this is it....

antiquity collector

Postby antiquity collector » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:42 am

I'm back! Just got reactivated. Updated my email and was locked out of my account until an Admin reactivated me. That was 2-3 weeks ago.

Your jacket looks great. I'm going to look at the film again to see if I notice it. Who knows, they needed multiples for filming and that would make sense that they made one with the split for riding comfort, especially with Arnold's size at the time. Maybe they grabbed the wrong jacket for that quick scene as a pick up shot. Both versions could be screen accurate.

I just nabbed a vintage Bates size 48 for a display I'll be doing. The buttons are brass so I might paint them as well as remove the epaulets.

Rob

lpyyxw

Postby lpyyxw » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:36 pm

For most of the scenes in the T1 movie, Arnold's jacket also has a padding in the kidney panel, this is why the lower back doesn't crease and rests as one piece on his sacrum. This is typical of Bate's doing, I have two "highwayman" and both has padding (so says on their website). What I'm curious about is how many Highwayman does Bates make, there is the Highwayman 1 and 2 but I have seen three types. Arbitrarily, the 1 has side laces, big curve kidney panel, full belt (soft belt or sam brown), the 2 has big curved back, no side lace, no coin pocket, incomplete belt, the type 3 is just like type 1, but with a less curved lower back. I feel type 3 maybe a custom order.

Return to “Film Jackets”