"Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" Jacket

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

RCSignals

Postby RCSignals » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Rick wrote:The reason I do not care for this jacket is exactly that reason. The padding on the shoulder (and everywhere else, by the way) instantly remind me of the early 80's style leather jackets like Stallone and Travolta wore. It is a dated look, in my opinion. Although the other two jackets are reminiscent of the Brando style, it is difficult to pin down an era when that style was popular, because it always has been and still is. Kind of like if Schwarzenegger had grabbed an A-2 jacket.

Maybe Tony will have more insight to the reasoning behind the jacket design?

I don't think the jacket can be dated like that. It's unique to that movie, not something anyone would have found and bought off the rack somewhere. It isn't oo much of a 'real world' design, I'll give it that, but then neither is the movie.

The jacket was designed when Tony got the job. It was another 'last minute' job for him. A complicated jacket with many pieces, a manufacturer could not be found to make it. Tony was asked and did put it together and on time.
He did the pants too.
Simple as that.

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:06 pm

I have to agree. The jacket does look like it takes its cues from motorcycle jackets in the 80's ie very padded (not armored), and mutipled pieces of leather causing seams to run amok. LOL

Yet, like the Indy jacket, it looks common but it is very unique in its own right.

I guarantee that you wear this to any major bike week that your jacket would blend right in but yet no other rider would be wearing even close to the same design.
Let's make something go BOOM!

Henry Swanson

Postby Henry Swanson » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 am

Maybe its just me, but does this jacket remind anyone of the one that Paul McCrane wears in Robocop?

Arethusa

Postby Arethusa » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:48 am

Hence Rick's point about it being extremely 80s. It is.

RCSignals

Postby RCSignals » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Henry Swanson wrote:Maybe its just me, but does this jacket remind anyone of the one that Paul McCrane wears in Robocop?

that particular jacket is most likely not made of separate pieces, it looks like uses stitching to create a quilted effect.
It not another typical '80s jacket but an odd design for effect.

I highly doubt the designer of the T3 jacket used it as their inspiration

The T3 jacket with it's multiple individual pieces and look is hardly common.

crismans

Re: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" Jacket

Postby crismans » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:47 pm

I don't want to continue to hijack another thread (and risk the ire of X-fans!), I thought I would post this here. According to the story that Tony told several people (and recently corroborated by his nephew), Tony was brought in on the project when Bates couldn't get the jacket to fit Arnold the way the actor wanted it to fit (there might have been some "design" problems as well, but I'm not sure on this point). Tony got the jacket to fit the way the actor wanted and he got the job (in this way, it really parallels how Tony got the gig for Indy's jacket in Indy IV).

Tony and Arnold were friends, but, according to Tony, Arnold did not know who made the jacket he approved until after he had given it his blessing. So, the fact that they were friends apparently did not play into it. As I've stated before, Tony was a body-builder so he had some insight into how to make a jacket for that body type that others might not have.

CRB

Postby CRB » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 pm

And here it is up for auction
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

CRB

Postby CRB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:53 am

Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

Return to “Film Jackets”