"Staying Alive" Tony Manero Jacket

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

"Staying Alive" Tony Manero Jacket

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:32 am

"Staying Alive" Jacket Main Page
Manufacturer: Currently Unknown

(NOTE: I split this post from Mike's original post which combined this jacket and the Rocky 3 jacket. That post is here, and most of it are Mike's words from that post. -- Rick)

This jacket was worn prominently in the film "Staying Alive", starring John Travolta and was also seen in the opening montage of Rocky 3, as well as the scene after Mickeys death, when Rocky laments on the death of his friend/mentor AND his championship title.

I believe it to be the exact same jacket, since Stallone directed Travolta in "Staying Alive", right after he completed filming of "Rocky III"

"Staying Alive", however, has some great shots. Too bad the movie isn't nearly as nice as the jacket.:wink:

Shoulder Detail

Front

Back

More Back Detail

Now, I am 99.9% sure that a company named Hein Gericke designed this jacket, and possibly Stallone purchased this for his own collection back in the early 80s. I used to own a jacket very similar, that was designed by Hein Gericke, for Harley Davidson Motorcycles. They pop up from time to time on Ebay. The main difference is the Harley jacket is made of cowhide, and has action pleats at the back of the shoulders, where as the jacket in the film seems to be made of a softer "designer" leather, such as lamb, and there are no pleats.

Here is one example found awhile back on Ebay:

If anyone has any information on this jacket, please post it here.
Thanks
Mike

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:16 am

I have long been a fan of this Jacket from both Rocky 3 and Staying Alive.

Back in 1983 when SA came out,there was no internet and I was a teen and had no clue on where to get one,or who the manufacturer was. Eventually I found an extremely close looking one at the mall store "Chess King". It was a lighter leather and made by Sergio Valente. I bbought it for about $175.
Around the same time "Wilson's Leather" had a similar one,in cowhide,but missing the upper back detail.

Since then I have found out that Hein Gericke WAS the manufacterer and have since acquired a couple off Ebay. I say a couple because they run very,very small. I normally wear a 44 jacket,their 44 fit me like a 40.
Subsequently I have a 48 HG and it fits perfectly.

Serveral months ago,there was a supposed screen used one,autographed by Travolta,size 42 long. For as buff as he was in the movie,we're still talking around a true size 38. A relatively small jacket. The person selling it had informed me that his sister worked at Paramount costuming and Harley Davidson clothing had let them use the jacket as a marketing tool.

Schott also made a version of this jacket.
Last edited by DavidCoppola on Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks so much for the information, David. Any chance you could post some pics of your HG jackets? I still keep a look out for these all the time. Good to know they run kind of small. I normally wear a 48, so I guess I'll have to look for larger sizes.
Mike

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:44 am

I will try to post some pix. I am not good at posting pix the way they do it here. I don't have a hosting source.

Pretty much what you see in the screen caps above is THE jacket.

Like I said,a couple of companies made versions of it,but all sources I have dictate that is was indeed a Hein Gericke product. It was a collaboration with Harley Davidson.

Steinway(sold at Merry Go Round)
Sergio Valente(sold at Chess King)
Schott
Wilson's

All of the above,maybe more,made versions of the jacket.
An interesting note is that they all have slightly different features.
I E,snapped wrists vs zipped wrist,for an example.

It has been seen in a few other movies as well.

Strreets of Fire
48 Hours 2 (Another 48 Hours) are a couple of others,as well as a few MTV videos.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:01 am

Great info! :D If you need help hosting pics, just email them to either Rick or myself, and we can host them for you.

As far as diffferent versions, I remember Chess king selling a slightly different, lighter weight version in red, and also white leather. Maybe even blue. They also sold a satin version in a few colors,...ugh.
I believe they all had snap cuffs.

There were many versions over the years, including ones with ribbed action pleats in the back, and like you stated, missing the shoulder details.

The music video you mentioned,...did it happen to be Chris Cornell wearing one in his video with Rage Against The Machine?
I'm 99% sure I saw him wearing one.
Mike

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:56 am

One that comes to mind is "Ambitious" by Jeff beck.

It features many small cameos of well known actors/musicians.

In the beginning many of them are signing up for an audition.

Donny Osmond is talking to the person and in back of him is Parker Stevenson wearing the jacket. It is on YOUTUBE.

I will email you a pic I have of Stallone wearing it. I'll try to scan some other pix for you.

Mike

Re: "Staying Alive" Tony Manero Jacket

Postby Mike » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Talk about reviving an old thread, but I found that video I mentioned above from Audioslave. Chris Cornell is wearing it.
Can't really tell what it is until halfway through, but that's the jacket alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDMvN45sjo4

Mike

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Sure is Mike. Great video too. Love me some Chris Cornell and what was left of Rage Against the Machine. He definitely wore it as it was meant to worn. :cool:
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

jbels

Postby jbels » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 am

Hey all, glad to find this site and thank you for adding me as a member. My father used to work for Paramount Pictures and during the shoot of Staying Alive, he brough home the Harley version of the jacket. I have had this jacket for years and it looks like the photos that Rick posted above.

Scott

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Some exciting news on the horizon.

More to follow...

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 am

OK, I recently picked up a size 48 100% SA Hein Gericke. I've had a couple of HGS, but they were all too small.
They run very small and are measured around the outside, hence me being a 44 and this being a 48.

Our own Admin, Mike, sold it to me. This is the 2nd jacket I purchased from him, the 1st being the UD Replicas X2.

Mike and I are self-confessed Staying Alive/Travolta, and Stallone fans and have had many discussions about the movies.

The jacket JUST fits as I am training very hard for a show coming up. The leather was a bit dry so I gave it a Mink Oil bath and is soaking it in and will behanging for a couple of days.

Once I get my computer fixed and able to save images from my camera, I'll post some pix of it and my Layer Vake jacket...till then..

CRB

Postby CRB » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Believe it or not I only just recently watched Saturday Night Fever, which Icdid enjoy. What's the sequel like?
Look forward to those photos!
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 am

Hey CRB,

SNF and SA are two totally different movies. If you go in with that mindset you'll enjoy both.

They both have differnt directors and feel. Almost none of the supporting characters from SNF are in SA, except for Tony's mom.
SNF is obviously very 70s and SA is very 80s.

PackRedman

Postby PackRedman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Just a quick thanks. Because of this thread, my team just won the pub quiz haha who knew my jacket obsession actually taught me things. sorry to be off topic
Alexander Leathers Arkansas
Barbour To Ki To Sports Jacket
Belstaff S Icon ("Inglorious Basterds") Jacket
Tannery Wanted
Dunderdon & HHI Waxed Suede Welder Jacket

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Do tell RedPackman!

Return to “Film Jackets”