"X2: X-Men United" Jacket (Wolverine)

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

"X2: X-Men United" Jacket (Wolverine)

Postby Rick » Wed May 09, 2007 6:07 am

Let me tell you, itis tough to get good jacket screen caps from this movie. Logan is only wearing it during the first part of the movie, and from there goes to a tank top, a t-shirt and then the X-Men costume.

Here is one of the few shots where you can get a full frontal view of the jacket. It is a decent shot for basics such as sleeve length.

Here you can see the front length - and it is also one of the few shots where you can see the side markings on the bottom of the jacket. Where the first movie had solid markings, this one is clearly two-tone.

Here is the second best picture I could grab of the zip-sleeves.

Arm stripes can be seen pretty well here. All things considered, that is.

Here is a nice indoor shot that clearly shows that this jacket is not black as it appears in most of the outdoor shots. I really like the "bi-swing" shoulder detail.

Last edited by Rick on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Thu May 10, 2007 8:00 pm

Collar detail and of course, more shoulder pleat detail.

Here you can see most of the shoulder pleat.

Some cuff detail:

Arm stripes and front zipper starting point and angle can be seen here. This is easily the most screwed up feature on any replica jacket. The zippers are all over the place.

This is the best detail shot of the zip sleeves that you will find in the movie, I guarantee it. :wink:

This is the only full on shot I could find with decent lighting, and it is a lousy shot. Note the length of the back compared to the length of the front as seen in the first set of pictures.

Collar strap detail. This should end the "squared vs. rounded" debate.

Here is a nice shot of the leather texture.

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:31 am

So just to add to this one a bit, this jacket was done by Bates Leathers, and they still make these on request for about $1100+.
The jacket is meant to be a continuation of the Vanson Wolverine wore in X-Men, and it shows in the similar style and even the one arm band missing from weathering just like in the first movie.
I'm guessing that since Jackman bulked up quite a bit and Bates is big on making movie jackets as well, they happened to get the call this time around instead of Vanson since larger sized jackets were needed, but they had to build the jacket in the same style... Vanson's jacket is a much tougher horsehide in X-Men, but this is definitely a sweet jacket as well and has it's own character in the way it lays.

Here are some pics of it pre-molestation by the wardrobe dep. (notice the "Harley Davidson & Marlboro Man" jacket hanging in the background)

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:42 am

As far as replicas, no one has done this jacket until now other than Bates...but now we can add David's version from Universal Productions. These are his prototype pics for now until the final version arrives with proper piping details and such...

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:30 am

THEMAN wrote:As far as replicas, no one has done this jacket until now other than Bates...but now we can add David's version from Universal Productions.

A couple of questions and a comment. These photos are from Bates Custom Leathers, right - so we are looking at the actual screen-used jacket prior to filming? Does anyone know if this is the same jacket that we have on the X2 page? The front zipper placement looks better in these pictures.

Is Universal Productions related to Universal Designs in any way? I tried to contact Universal Designs to get their permission to add them as a vendor here. No answer, but they had some similar stuff.

That jacket looks good, although I have yet to see a replica vendor get those front zippers right. The bottoms of the zippers seem to end too far to the side. Maybe it is just my poor eyesight. :lol:

Kittlemeier

Postby Kittlemeier » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:56 pm

It's my understanding that those pics from Bates were of Jackman's jacket before it went to wardrobe but I don't believe the other pics from Bates are of the film jacket.

Universal Designs is the maker of the replica jacket. I like it very much save for the tan stripes rather than mustard. The sleeve shot from the movie absolutely shows more green tint and less orange in the yellow sleeve detail. I asked about it on the RPF but he likes it the way it is.

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:26 pm

Oooops, Universal Designs is the correct name, not Productions, sorry.

I agree that David's (UD) zipper placement is a little off, should start about an inch lower on the jacket at the top, and the bottom end of the zipper should be about an inch closer to the center line of the jacket.
The waist stripes are also off a bit, but from his later examples of the waist stripe detail I believe they will be much better in the production versions. I'm hoping some of the zipper placement and such will be slightly helped with the adjustment of the cut in the body of the jacket for the final version.

The color is off on the yellow in the stripes, and David has already admitted that it is the same color used for his X1 and that he was not changing it. Should be much more yellow than orangy gold...but I believe once weathered properly and dirty/greased/ashed up a bit the stripes will look correct enough.

I also believe the cut of the sleeves is off a bit and have already gone over this with David. He has a lot of extra room in the bicep and no curving forward of the sleeve as it goes to the cuff like the actual motorcycle jacket of Bates does. Luckily this extra room is where I plan on taking it in a bit to make the sleeve curve properly once I get mine.
He makes a good quality product, but I think some slight details are always a hair off.
Still a much better bargain at less than half the price of a Bates.

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:50 pm

I love the the look of the premolested jacket.

They should have taken a less is more approach to distressing it for the film and let the actual colors show a bit more clearly. On screen it just looks like the color of dirt and oil.

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:13 am

I think they did it right for the movie on making the jacket dingy... it really helps cover up the differences between X1 and X2

X2 was supposed to be a continuation of X-MEN... Hugh was much larger though, and the original X1 main Hero/Stunt jacket was auctioned off, so for whatever reason Bates was hit up for the second movie jacket. The design had to be really close to X1 though and then had to be beat and weathered to continue that look from X-MEN. If you look close you should even notice the same missing top arm stripe on the one sleeve.
Last edited by THEMAN on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herojacket

Postby Herojacket » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:00 am

Until I read about this jacket on the site, I never realized that it was a continuation of the jacket he wore in the first film. LOL Especially the missing armband which I never noticed. Good eye.

The differences are pretty obvious even to the casual observer (non jacket fan). You can really tell the difference in the colors and piping on the slashes at his hips where the red/gold shows thru.

I assumed he got his X Men version jacket dirty not that he was still wearing his own jacket.

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Here's David's latest release. I used some familiar shots so everyone can get a quick comparo...
I did add the leather extensions for the zipper pulls to make it a bit more accurate, luckily I had some strips that matched color exactly.

OG on the left, David's on the right.:cool

xOUTLAWx

Postby xOUTLAWx » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:26 am

Wow the X2 jacket is on sale over at Magnoli Clothiers. This is the best replica I have seen so far. Kudos Magnoli!

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:45 am

Magnoli's looks decent, although it could use some minor adjustments.
DavidYR1's looked decent too, until it was worn, then it's shortcomings became obvious... proper fit is just so important, and as Rick has stated, the proper chest pocket angle is a hard one for replica makers to nail as well.
http://LogansCloset.com

Making Ultimate Apparel Reality

h8ter18

Postby h8ter18 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:43 pm

wow

and stole all of the mans pics to boot.

Return to “Film Jackets”