"The Departed" Jacket

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Re: "The Departed" Jacket

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm

That is irrelevant to me. The black jacket is not described as new but as "in excellent shape" meaning used. We would assume a brand new jacket would be in excellent shape, right? Since a similar used jacket did not make $350 on eBay last time, the "generous" offer to sell it to a member here at nearly a 300% markup from the last sale is, well... offensive to me. Like I said, unless I missed something somewhere which is entirely possible. I am not saying that the jacket is not worth every penny, but the market does not look like it will currently support this price. Maybe I am just defensive, but I have the best interests of the people here in mind, believe me.
Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. -- Ryunosuke Satoro

tonicab

Postby tonicab » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Rick wrote:That is irrelevant to me. The black jacket is not described as new but as "in excellent shape" meaning used. We would assume a brand new jacket would be in excellent shape, right? Since a similar used jacket did not make $350 on eBay last time, the "generous" offer to sell it to a member here at nearly a 300% markup from the last sale is, well... offensive to me. Like I said, unless I missed something somewhere which is entirely possible. I am not saying that the jacket is not worth every penny, but the market does not look like it will currently support this price. Maybe I am just defensive, but I have the best interests of the people here in mind, believe me.

I agree but I have to say:

If the jacket is not new (but like new) I think the price would be 350-500 dollars.

If the jacket is new I think the price would be 500-850 dollars.

Kevin Anderson

Postby Kevin Anderson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:29 pm

You're looking at the wrong auction I think Rick.
The brown one sold for 339, this time he's selling a black version.
$999 for one of those, in good condition, is a perfectly reasonable price.
They're rarer than hens teeth, rarer than the Hero jacket by far. How often do they pop up on Ebay?
The last time I saw one (other than the prematurely ended listing CRB pointed out) it sold for around $1200, back in mid-2010.

Kevin Anderson

Postby Kevin Anderson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:33 pm

CRB wrote:Spoke to the advertiser just now to find out more - but they've all being sold already! It was £700 for all three - an absolute bargain ! wish I'd spotted them sooner. They think it was the lighter Police blouson, but they weren't exactly sure (it was actually his other half I spoke to, rather than him). Those Police blousons are rarer than hens teeth. Even rare than the Bison Hero.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes I have the Large in the Police blouson (winter) and the XL in the Hero. And, rather surprisingly, the Police blouson feels bigger. The Hero is a slimmer cut and the Police blouson (intentionally) a boxier fit. The torso of the Police fits rather like the Dark Knight. The Police is a slightly longer jacket than the Hero.

As a very rough rule of thumb, and this is very rough, with Belstaff blousons you go up one size on the jackets. But it is at the end of the day if you like your jackets tight fitting or not (personally I like a bit of room to put one extra layer on underneath). Oh and to really really confuse things more, Belstaff apparently alter their sizings on the SAME jacket! I was joking about this with the Manchester Belstaff staff - the summer X-Large "M blouson" and the winter Medium "M blouson" fit me the same. It's hard to believe, I know, but I've had them both on and was baffled myself.

Tom Cruise's "M blouson" in MI:3, for example, looks very tight fitting, but then again he was jumping off buildings in Shanghai and attacking a terrorist base in Germany in his, I wasn't planning on doing that myself.

:razz: I realise I copied CRB's description of the rarity of the Departed jacket, nearly word for word! I should try and be more creative with my writing!

CRB

Postby CRB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:04 am

Don't worry Kevin, my lawyers will be in touch soon :) !

I think a jacket is like a house - it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. And this varies greatly for something like this. Some people may see this as just a plain black leather jacket, some will see it as the Holy Grail that they have been searching for for years. If the seller has a possibility of getting a high price, I have to say that's his good fortune. It's a bit similar to the Layercake jacket that Kittle bought for >$2000 wasn't it ?
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:35 am

I had the correct auction then. That is where I got the $339 price and used the 300% mark-up number. I am aware of the difference in color and the jackets perceived value and I am not ignorant to which jackets are difficult to find. CRB is correct about the jacket being worth what someone is willing to pay.

My concern is that even a genuine Belstaff in brown should have gone for far more than $339 - the market does not seem to be supporting the actual value of these jackets right now. With that in mind, I think that this site and the members here are being exploited by the seller to try to ensure a sale at the higher cost. I would have felt more comfortable if the seller's only post here was not one where he is trying to sell a high end jacket after a disappointing previous sale. I would rather have him put the jacket on auction with a BIN price of $999 and let us know. If anyone wants it at that cost, they could just grab it, but I suspect most would rather bid and try to get it for less.

To me the Layer Cake jacket is different. I do not remember seeing anyone coming here with a special offer for us. That is just where the bidding went and it is justified. You guys have all seen people come here with specific jackets where they highball the price to see if we will have a go at it. They are not doing this for our benefit, but theirs.

I admittedly have a suspicious mind and since it looks as if I am the only one seeing it this way, so I will stay out of it from here.

clach37

Postby clach37 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:24 pm

I hear you all regarding the Jacket. Well, it is in great (excellent) shape (worn 4-5 times) and I gave away the brown one on EBay. I sold over 20 plus designer leather jackets on EBay last year (Dior, Carpe Diem, Rick Owens, Prada, Gucci, etc) I paid significant dollars for this in London and when the exchange rate is figured in I am breaking even. My intent is not to gouge anyone but purely let you know i am listing. Sincerely

clach37

Postby clach37 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey, also just listed it in EBay and started the 7 day auction at $799.00 USD plus shipping. I guess it is only worth what it sells for. Worst case scenario -I own a great jacket. I meant no offense to anyone.

Kevin Anderson

Postby Kevin Anderson » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Lordy that's a nice jacket. Wish it was my size. :( Nothing wrong with that price either.
I may just sell my Summer-weight Police Blouson cheap and see if one day I can get hold of the heavier one like the one in the listing.

thebluebus

Postby thebluebus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:56 am

Who's that in your avatar JF500?

It's the same as Mike's avatar, and I always thought his avatar was a picture of him.

Weird.

:wtf:

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Thebluebus, nice catch on that. I scanned through this thread and just assmed Mike made the comment since it is indeed a picture of him. (I should know as I personally took it.) I never read the name so I did not notice that it was hijacked. I deactivated the account until we know what is going on there. Thanks. I'll let Mike handle it since it is his image. :grin:

CRB

Postby CRB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Obviously some spammer. I love the way it says 'Deactivated' by the avatar now, bit like being 'Disavowed' in the Mission: Impossible films !
Belstaff Hero, Police, Brad, Ethan, M, Legend, Indy, Button, Panther, Seven, Denim, Patterson, Roadmaster, City, Lawrence, Duke of York, Cople, Sammy, Sandway Matchless Osborne, Roadfarer, Baker, Fulham, Craig, Silverstone TNO Surrogates, Indy IV Kelso Relic BR DH4 Royale Quantum RRL Owens, Farley, Moorhouse Lot78 199 RL Bradford, Harrington, Sutter, Barracuda, Biker Baracuta G9

tonicab

Postby tonicab » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:31 pm

CRB wrote:Obviously some spammer. I love the way it says 'Deactivated' by the avatar now, bit like being 'Disavowed' in the Mission: Impossible films !

I think it would be better "Erased", like Arnold movie. :grin:

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:43 pm

I was going to do "Terminated" but wanted to see what the reason was first. Looking at all three posts from this user, I am not feeling warm and fuzzy about reactivation. The sad thing?

I am thinking about contacting the IP address owner as it comes from here:

ISP: Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia
Organization: GEORGIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
Type: Corporate
Assignment: Static IP

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Avatar has been adjusted appropriately.