"Omega Man" 'Dutch' Jacket

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

"Omega Man" 'Dutch' Jacket

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:49 pm

"Omega Man" 'Dutch' Jacket Main Page
Manufactured By: Not Known

Suggested By: TheMechanic

Last edited by Rick on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:52 pm

TheMechanic wrote:Here's a great 1930's vintage motorcycle jacket worn by Paul Koslo as Dutch in the 1971 Charlton Heston film "The Omega Man".

Maker unknown, for now.

The cut and style are almost identical to the Snake Plissken Jacket with the exception of the single diagonal zippered pistol pocket, different color lining, cinch adjustable cuffs and no button hole on the lapel.

Other than that, every other feature is the same, even the vertical seam on the back panel.

A great looking jacket and you gotta love the hand giving you the finger on the back.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks Rick!

One more thing I noticed the other day while watching again is that it's a little shorter than the Plissken jacket. The bottom of the jacket comes to just above the back pockets on Koslo's blue jeans.
Saoirse go deo

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:20 pm

How is the sleeve length? Every screenshot seems to have ol' Dutch lifting his arm so I cannot tell if the jacket is too short all around or just the waist.

I kind of like the style. The offset zippers on these jackets are perfect for keeping the wind from blasting through. Way better than a standard stormflap. That is one thing I love about the Schott Perfecto. It is lighter than many other jackets, but warmer when all zipped up and driving 70 mph on a motorcycle.

I would love to get a vintage jacket (in brown horsehide) that has the offset zipper like this one or the Snake Plissken jacket.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:57 pm

m pretty sure the sleeves were just right on him. I'll try to get more screen caps for you but getting caps from Windows Media player just sucks. Very time consuming but there's a few good shots of the sleeves I think.
Saoirse go deo

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:02 pm

1940's "The Sportsman" Leather Jacket. Same lapels, same cuff straps (with different buckles) and what looks like the same diagonal pistol pocket and slash pockets. Definitely close.

The style and pocket arrangement is very similar to the Aero Bootlegger. If not for Magnoli, I would have gotten a Bootlegger without the epaulettes and the diagonal pistol pocket made vertical. Alas, I was finally able to get the Plissken jacket that I wanted but I still want one of those Aero's. I wonder if they'd do a bootlegger with the cuff straps? I'm sure they would. Something to think about.
Saoirse go deo

Neville

Postby Neville » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 am

Gotta love the finger in the back. I wouldn't want to wear that today, but if our world was ever infested with vampires or zombies, I'd be all over that.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:10 am

Or if I was an outlaw biker. I love it but don't think it would go over well at my sons parent/teacher meetings!
Saoirse go deo

Neville

Postby Neville » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:24 pm

I think your scenario is slightly more plausible.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:39 am

I have added some 'new' screenshots although TheMechanic already got most of the pertinent ones.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:33 am

Cool, thanks Rick.
Saoirse go deo

enervator

Re: "Omega Man" 'Dutch' Jacket

Postby enervator » Sun May 03, 2015 11:25 am

Any opinions on replicas of this jacket? My friend and I saw The Omega Man last night and I thought it might be fun to go to NY Comic Con as Dutch and he said he in turn would go as Mathias. I found a few online sites offering this one, but the only pictures they had posted were screenshots from the movie, which concerned me. As much as I like the distinctive back, I probably wouldn't be wearing this one daily so it doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive, super high quality jacket, but I also don't want to spend a hundred bucks on something that either looks nothing like what's in the movie or is going to fall apart the first time I wear it.

Thanks.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Mon May 04, 2015 4:11 am

That is a tough one as anyone who makes this jacket will more than likely be making a one-off. It is not something you would stock the racks with for obvious reasons. If you are looking to spend a hundred bucks, you are not going to get much. It is rare to find a custom leather jacket for under $300 that will meet your expectations. I think that the best bet in this case to get away cheaply may be an eBay/Craigslist find and a bottle of acrylic paint.

Kudos for not buying from any site using screen captures as examples. Very smart. :wink:
Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. -- Ryunosuke Satoro

enervator

Postby enervator » Mon May 04, 2015 8:17 am

Rick wrote:Kudos for not buying from any site using screen captures as examples. Very smart. :wink:

Thanks, lol. I've read enough threads here to know that if all you're getting is screenshots or a random picture of Dan wearing a Vanson it's probably a red flag. ;)

enervator

Postby enervator » Mon May 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Maybe a stupid question, but I saw in one of the posts above that it's similar to "The Sportsman." Is there a manufacturer to that? Or is "The Sportsman" the manufacturer?

Thanks.

Return to “Film Jackets”