"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" Jacket

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Yeah, these fast moving threads!

The early Leather Concessionaires and Wested's always looked like Bantu Winds to me so horses for courses.

Here is a pic of my old Wested... also lamb.

RCSignals

Postby RCSignals » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Kt Templar wrote:I'd be interested to see it.

The thing is, even with years of DVD level images subsequently, the details on the Kurtz are remarkably good for something where the reference would have been so hard to find.

NB: note these pics are, a Wested of unknown vintage, probably fairly early. Note that the leather is very similar to the LC that Agent 5 posted. It is lamb.

why is that one distressed like an LC? Do you know? just curious

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Dunno, probably the owner liked LC! LOL

neutronbomb

Postby neutronbomb » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:36 am

Well KT. You got me. I've convinced myself that the Chicago is cowhide. After two hours of really looking at the close ups of the grain and comparing them to lamb, goat, and cowhide jackets I have and your jacket and close ups on the web of lamb, goat, and cowhide it looks like cowhide to me. It would be great to have Tony Covington, Paul Evans, and Jeffry Guthrie-Strachan take a look at those close up shots of the Chicago LC and see what they think the leather is. Any chance you could get their take on it since you know those guys.

But, nevertheless. I have to say it's looking more like there are some very early leather concessionaire jackets like the kurtz that appear to have been passed off as fakes. No way the Kurtz is an LC with the clearly early leather concessionaires Raiders details and then of course someone writing in ball point pen Indy III and HF's name. Sad really.

I think Holt did some very good analysis with showing the Bantu Wind is the Wilson Truck Drag Jacket. Lot of controversy on that one for sure. Especially with the jacket examined in 2000 seeming to have some resemblances to it based on the description of it. Also could be another early leather concessionaires fake like the Kurtz. Now that would throw a wrench into the works. I think I remember you proposing the Bantu was the original prototype. I've never been able to work out how the rest of the jackets used in the movie are so vastly different though if that is the case. Holt's analysis is pretty strong and so far has made the most sense to me.

There are other Indy fans who I share the thinking of that the Chicago and Smithsonian jackets really are LC jackets. If they're indeed made of cowhide it would be interesting since the history of the leather used in the LC jacket seems to have been written in stone.

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:15 am

Actually it was Sebas that proposed the Bantu was the 1st proto. I'm on the fence about that.

Either way, it could be the historical pattern Peter recalls making and the little quirks of that jacket kept popping up again over time. Like the rear strap being inside the seam of the back flap, when we see it sewn to the outside of the back of the jacket quite clearly in several shots most notably the flying wing sequence. Some people have suggested that this was an 'On set' modification because the 'in seam' strap would pull out.

Again you have to remember there were several people working on these jackets at Leather Concessionaires, each may have finished their jackets slightly differently. It was a different, simpler, time. No one expected the jackets to be studied in any detail so many years later!

I do agree that the Kurtz appears to be a later jacket. Though I think the recipients 'were' given them as 'Last Crusade' jackets. Whatever department (at LFL) sent it to Kurtz really didn't look at it that closely, obviously! I believe he received it in good faith and sold it as such.

Tell me what about it convinces you that it is COW? Is it the small grain?

RCSignals

Postby RCSignals » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:44 am

What seems odd about the Kurtz jacket and the theory that it was one of a few given to movie insiders as an LC promotion is, since it was done so close after LC was made, why is the Kurtz jacket not an LC jacket? Why would it be so obviously a Leather Concessionaires pattern Raiders jacket of the time? Should it not have been easy still at that point to make LC jackets to give out?
Perhaps it is not one of these jackets, but as NB speculates just a Leather Concessionaires Raider being faked as an LC that made an appearance at the same time as the promotional jackets?

Henry Swanson

Postby Henry Swanson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:06 am

Kt Templar wrote:I'd be interested to see it.

Here ya go, Kt:
Apparently, its a Leather Connoisseurs jacket made for Keppler sometime around '87. Looking at the yoke/arm seam, pocket, and sidesrtap placements along with other details, it actually looks to me like a very accurate jacket. A Raiders jacket that is, what Keppler was after at the time. Which is why I can't understand this jacket:
It supposedly is a jacket Keppler had made by Gibson & Barnes (though it does have a strong resemblance to some older Cooper/Wings jackets, right down to the double stitched shoulders) when he wasn't happy with the Leather Connoisseurs jackets. It doesn't look any closer to a Raiders jackt to me, however, it does look closer to a Last Crusade/Crystal Skull jacket, but you guys already know why.

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks for the Leather Concessionaires jacket haven't seen that for a long time. (Apart from when RCS sent me it!).

I've always wondered about the archive jacket (and not saying it isn't a G&B Keppler) why is it so different from the Raiders and ToD. The collar construction is completely different. If you were going to send them a 'Raiders plus snaps' it would look a lot more like the Kurtz.

RCSignals

Postby RCSignals » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:49 am

Kt Templar wrote:.......... The collar construction is completely different. If you were going to send them a 'Raiders plus snaps' it would look a lot more like the Kurtz.

can you clarify that?

Who was to send whom a 'Raiders plus snaps' ?

RCSignals

Postby RCSignals » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:50 am

Nice to see someone saved the Keppler jacket photos I posted on COW.

neutronbomb

Postby neutronbomb » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:57 am

Did they get deleted RCSignals.

This is a great site Rick. I love that you allow us to actually discuss stuff. It seems people do a good job here of not outright flaming each other, but we're allowed to respectfully disagree and really get into the details of stuff without waking up one day with everything sanitized to protect 10-20 years of developed, overstuffed egos. And I don't just mean nasty name calling insult flame oriented sanitized stuff. I'm talking about anything that isn't just fawning over the party line or maybe somebody might get their feeling hurt because somebody isn't in agreement. It seems from what I've seen we're all big boys here and I like that.

Just thought I'd give you a thank you for a great site Rick. Doesn't mean we'll always see it all in the same way. But hey, that's ok.

neutronbomb

Postby neutronbomb » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:01 pm

I'd still like to get your take on this KT. I think it's a valid point RCSignals has brought up. Are we 100% certain the Kurtz jacket came from Lucas Films. Working on getting some photos up to talk about the cowhide aspect a bit more. If you know for certain it's lambskin would love to have you share.

RCSignals wrote:What seems odd about the Kurtz jacket and the theory that it was one of a few given to movie insiders as an LC promotion is, since it was done so close after LC was made, why is the Kurtz jacket not an LC jacket? Why would it be so obviously a Leather Concessionaires pattern Raiders jacket of the time? Should it not have been easy still at that point to make LC jackets to give out?
Perhaps it is not one of these jackets, but as NB speculates just a Leather Concessionaires Raider being faked as an LC that made an appearance at the same time as the promotional jackets?

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:16 pm

I have no information on this. The jacket belonged to Gary Kurtz is all I know. Well, at least that is who it is attributed to.

The other fact is that Berman's were the contact between Lucas and Leather Concessionaires at this time.

Is it possible that Kurtz bought the jacket from Leather Concessionaires direct? Possible but highly unlikely!

RCSignals

Postby RCSignals » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:30 pm

You are correct Kt, we don't know if the jacket is indeed belonging to Kurtz, We don't know that it was one of the promotional jackets.
The so called 'Kurtz' jacket however does look like some of the Leather Concessionaires jackets with snaps added and exaggerated Last Crusade type distressing. It does not look like a ast Crusade jacket in it's details.
The presence of a Bermans and Nathans tag is seemingly odd. I guess it could have been added by anyone, just like the snaps and distressing.

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:59 pm

That is true, I could feasibly pop into Angel's today and find a Berman's labelled item. Remove that label and the lettering on it and put it in any jacket.

However, without proof to the contrary and if this sold as a parcel by Kurtz I can only speculate and would not want to libel.

So my position remains he was given the jacket by Lucasfilm. It was distressed by 'whoever' and sold as an LC.

When I say 'whoever' I stress not anyone at Leather Concessionaires as they always supplied jackets as new.
Last edited by Kt Templar on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Film Jackets”