The Dark Knight Bruce Wayne Jacket by Universal Designs

This forum is to discuss all things Universal Designs Ltd.

Moderator: Mike

RIMMAYR1

The Dark Knight Bruce Wayne Jacket by Universal Designs

Postby RIMMAYR1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:20 pm

The Dark Knight ™
Bruce Wayne's Motorcycle Jacket - Officially Licensed Replica by Universal Designs.

Image Image

Patterned directly off of the Screen Used Bruce Wayne™ Leather
Motorcycle Jacket worn by Christian Bale in The Dark Knight ™.

- Strong edge seaming for all visible and hidden stitch work.
- Self Weathering-Antique Dark Brown base leather.
- Rich-Deep Red Leather Accents.
- Quality high-end accessories.
- Removable CE Approved Body Armor in forearms,
shoulders and back.
- Highly detailed, removable lightweight interior lining.
- Made from Quality Tanned Cow Hides

More details at www.udreplicas.com

Rimma

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:54 am

Rimma, the jacket looks terrific! My understanding is that the leather is not worn in like that off the rack, but made from leather that will distress easily. Is that correct?

Three very minor things stand out to me - and all with the distressing:

1) The Belstaff leather seems a little different - it looks like they started with a slightly predistressed leather base. Maybe prewashed or drum tumbled prior to construction of the jacket?

2) I am not sure if this makes sense, but the jacket used in the film looks like lightweight, but tight-grained leather where the protective finish is gone so the creases just fall into the leather like cloth. The UD version appears to have a shiny protective layer on the leather even though it is distressed. As if the distressing was applied before breaking that protective layer.

3) Personally, I would tone down the distressing - especially on the shoulders. Not to say it is not 100% accurate in the location and patterning of the distressing, but it looks to extreme (heavy handed). What I am seeing in screen shots and stills is a very dark brown leather with lighter brown wear spots. The distressing on the UD looks as if it is all the way through the dye.

The details look very accurate and the fit looks slightly more generous than Belstaff which should appeal to those of use who are not stick thin.

RIMMAYR1

Postby RIMMAYR1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 am

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the feedback and first off, yes. This is a true self weathering leather that truly does start to distress upon regular use.
The leather for the real screen used jacket was all distressed by hand and was not at all a pre-distressed leather base. Having handled the actual Hero Bale jacket and given the opportunity to study it in great detail I can assure you that our observations are 100% to the true jacket used on film.

Now that said, the shine on our jacket is really only due to the camera flash and filters used for the shoot...considering we didn't take our images into a 'pre-production' of sorts to pretty them up as these things commonly are for filming purposes...our images are exact to the product shown...admittedly with the exception of possible glares from the camera flash. We want this to very much be a 'what you see is what you get' type of product promotion...and we all worked very hard to ensure quality materials, construction and accuracy...all at an extremely competitive direct to consumer price point of $398.00 USD / $459.00 CAD. With that, we dont want the price to mislead anyone, because this truly can be compared to similar garments that cost much much more. Simply put, our goal from day one was to make high quality and as affordable as possible go hand in hand. :)

As for toning down the distressed look of the jacket...that's up to the client. Ours got really beat up and man handled over the coarse of the photo shoot so the distressing continued to become more and more apparent..but as I mentioned above the distressing and how/where it forms is due to how the jacket is used and how much 'abuse' you give it. :)

I know that the movie sequences show a darker base leather for the brown and the red, but in reality this is the Hero Bale Jacket....and we wanted to replicate 'it'....not necessarily how it appears on screen. :)

Image Image

In any case, Rick dont take my word for it... I spoke with Dave and he confirmed sending you our Bruce Wayne Replica Jacket for you to not only see in person, but review for FILMJACKETS.COM as well. :)
We'll make arrangements later today.

Rimma

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:50 am

Thank you Rimma. You have addressed one of the most important issues that we can face when trying to get a jacket to look 100% like what we see on screen. The damn lighting and filters :lol: Also when you take into account that there is often more than one jacket used, it can make a sane person go nuts trying to replicate the distressing. For instance, the screen shot I show you may be one where the jacket was not as distressed, but as filming continued, the costume designers may have weathered the jacket to look more beat up.

I trust you and David implicitly with what you are saying - that was not the point of that post, and I appreciate that you took it in the manner that it was written.

I have seen a lot of 100% accurate articles that bear very little resemblance to the actual item that is being replicated as "100%" is somewhat subjective. Hats, holsters, props, artifacts, etc. Distressing is almost always the weak point as it usually looks artificial.

I also assumed that the leather that Belstaff uses is somewhat proprietary and you have to use the closest possible alternative. Same with the zippers.

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:32 pm

Rimma - I know I mentioned in the TDK thread, but it might be a good idea to indicate which size is the exact replica match for the Christian Bale Screen used jacket for those that wish to get your replica as a display piece.

And to that end a sizing question comes to mind after reading Rick's impressions that your sizing looks a bit more generous. Did David actually replicate the fit of the original or did he make changes to the general fit across all the sizes according to a target market of body types?
http://LogansCloset.com

Making Ultimate Apparel Reality

TheStuntman

Postby TheStuntman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:52 am

VERY NICE REPLICA!
Rimma, You and David have done a great job. I see really no problems so far. I do think the distressing in the photos is a little on the BOLD side. And I do agree with Dan 100%. You NEED to list the 1:1 replica size. At the time of filming I was about a 43-44 chest. And Chris and I had the same workout. We are also the same height(well I am a fraction taller, :lol: ).

TheStuntman :D
"Be water, my friend" - Bruce Lee

Castor Dioscuri

Postby Castor Dioscuri » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Are these jackets still available for order? I noticed that they are no longer listed on the UD website, and was wondering if they were intended as a limited-run deal like the 'Batsuit' racing gear?

Neville

Postby Neville » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:58 pm

I think that in another thread somewhere UD said this one would be available again at some point.

Return to “UNIVERSAL DESIGNS LTD.”