Dark Knight Wearable suit replica is complete!

This forum is to discuss all things Universal Designs Ltd.

Moderator: Mike

DAVIDYR1

Postby DAVIDYR1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:18 am

DavidCoppola wrote:OK David, thanks for the info.

For the secondary run of the BW jacket, the million dollar question is, will if be offered in a 1:1 Bale size? I think you stated that in the fall that it would.
Not to stir up another hornet's nest, but that would be a selling point for me.

Also, what will they be going for?

Looks like I'll be torn between your's and Dan's(which has not been produced yet), but I definately will be looking into getting one for the fall.

My pleasure. :)

Regarding the Bale size, again the truth is that would mean the introduction of an entirely different size to the chart...and the reality is no one has requested that...at least not in great enough numbers to warrant that introduction. I know you SA jacket connoisseurs around here have voiced that request so I am entertaining it. We'll see in a few short weeks once it goes up on the site how I decide to proceed there. I certainly want to make everyone happy so this second run may well see that introduced. There are some legal concerns I have regarding so....we'll see what happens and how this can all be handled once it gets introduced again.

The price should be the same +/- a few bucks...if I can reduce the price I will.

I guess the only other thing to point out is that we are licensed by WB for this garment design and as such the only company legally permitted to manufacture and sell these goods....or more to the point, the TDK Bruce Wayne leather jacket.
It was very successful for us last year so there is no question that we'll reintroduce it. This time I want to have it differ than the first run so as I mentioned above....the leather is going to be heavy duty, very much so!

:)

David
....as children we dreamed.

shadow121

Postby shadow121 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 am

when you mention the cycle jacket "differing", what about the people who want the jacket to be the same leather it was in the film? will you offer 2 options, the original film jacket replica and a different one in heavier leather?

Neville

Postby Neville » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:54 pm

DAVIDYR1 wrote:I guess the only other thing to point out is that we are licensed by WB for this garment design and as such the only company legally permitted to manufacture and sell these goods....or more to the point, the TDK Bruce Wayne leather jacket.

Well, after Belstaff, of course ;)

Is your next run going to be fairly limited like the first one was? I like this jacket but it's not quite at the top of my list, so I'm kind of wondering how available it will be in the future.

DAVIDYR1

Postby DAVIDYR1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:08 pm

Neville wrote:
DAVIDYR1 wrote:I guess the only other thing to point out is that we are licensed by WB for this garment design and as such the only company legally permitted to manufacture and sell these goods....or more to the point, the TDK Bruce Wayne leather jacket.

Well, after Belstaff, of course ;)

Is your next run going to be fairly limited like the first one was? I like this jacket but it's not quite at the top of my list, so I'm kind of wondering how available it will be in the future.

Actually...Making a garment for a movie doesn't automatically signify licensing on that garment.

Yes, the next run will be limited like the first. Haven't decided on dates yet but it'll be released soon.

David

Neville

Postby Neville » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:36 pm

DAVIDYR1 wrote:Actually...Making a garment for a movie doesn't automatically signify licensing on that garment.

You mean they can't legally keep making the exact same jacket that appeared in the film?

DVD Connoisseur

Postby DVD Connoisseur » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Belstaff were licensed to make the jacket. Fact. Hence the Dark Knight window displays, etc.

Just a visit to Belstaff's site shows their intensive involvement and licensing with the movie.

Neville

Postby Neville » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:41 pm

DVD Connoisseur wrote:Belstaff were licensed to make the jacket. Fact. Hence the Dark Knight window displays, etc.

Just a visit to Belstaff's site shows their intensive involvement and licensing with the movie.

Exactly. I'm confused as to why David thinks they don't have the licensing.

Kt Templar

Postby Kt Templar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:22 pm

Licensing of clothing is based on the logo and property.

There is a general exception for clothing which means you cannot copyright a particular pattern, this stems from the need to prevent people claiming copyright on 'the shirt' and stopping everyone else from making a similar functional piece of clothing.

David has bought the license for the Dark Knight/Bruce Wayne licensed jacket, this means he has the right to make a Dark Knight/Bruce Wayne branded jacket for a particular market, within a set territory and for a set amount of time. The particulars will be in the small print. He may be restricted in a particular price band, be may be restricted in a particular market ie 'Motor Cycle' wear.

Belstaff may have a different license ie 'Fashion' or some sort of 'Luxury' segment. Or their license may just have expired.
"Figuring things out for yourself is practically the only freedom anyone really has nowadays. Use that freedom." Jean Rasczak

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Sounds like we found out why everyone and their mom can replicate a movie jacket, i.e. X-jackets.
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

BelstaffObsession

Postby BelstaffObsession » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 pm

I agree KT,
We can probably find alot of our answers in the Crystal Skull Nowak/Belstaff situation. Belstaff still has the license I believe as they continue to make the Dark Night Blouson. The jacket Will Be Available again this fall. My friend who works for Belstaff confirmed this for me last month. And the jacket when I saw it for sale in Las Vegas this past fall still had a Tag with the Dark Knight poster. And those jackets were New Stock.

But I do have a question for UD David.
Will you be making a version of the Black Widow Catsuit I wore in Iron Man 2?
If yes, you got a sale right now!

And I cant wait to see your Tron Legacy and Iron Man suits!

BelstaffObsession :wink:
"The journey is more important to me now. There’s no guarantee, no matter what. We get one run in life."
- Paul Walker

Paul William Walker IV ( 9/12/1973 - 11/30/2013 )

Reach Out WorldWide: www.roww.org
Please Donate and Spread the Word!

shadow121

Postby shadow121 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:28 pm

shadow121 wrote:when you mention the cycle jacket "differing", what about the people who want the jacket to be the same leather it was in the film? will you offer 2 options, the original film jacket replica and a different one in heavier leather?

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Bel-

Nice touch on the new avatar :wink: I was trying to find the new promo poster of that earlier today for my desktop.
Back on track...
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

DAVIDYR1

Postby DAVIDYR1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Kt Templar nice post...and thanks! Without getting into the legalities of it all, I will say that there is a lot of truth to your post...it's not 100% how it all works but you definitely have good grasp on the whole concept.

As for the leather of the jacket, my first issue was the same leather only thinner. I wanted an all season jacket with removable lining in the event people wanted to wear it in warmer weather. This time, we're going heavy duty and exact to the screen used one. :)

BelstaffObsession wrote:I agree KT,
We can probably find alot of our answers in the Crystal Skull Nowak/Belstaff situation. Belstaff still has the license I believe as they continue to make the Dark Night Blouson. The jacket Will Be Available again this fall. My friend who works for Belstaff confirmed this for me last month. And the jacket when I saw it for sale in Las Vegas this past fall still had a Tag with the Dark Knight poster. And those jackets were New Stock.

But I do have a question for UD David.
Will you be making a version of the Black Widow Catsuit I wore in Iron Man 2?
If yes, you got a sale right now!

And I cant wait to see your Tron Legacy and Iron Man suits!

BelstaffObsession :wink:

That's right! You did stunt work on the film...awesome!!!! If we do decide to release that suit, it might also be cool to consider a photo shoot with you...just thinking out loud here but I think it could be fun!

David

DAVIDYR1

Postby DAVIDYR1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 am

With a cool helmet...

David

THEMAN

Postby THEMAN » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 am

You've gotta hook that dude up with some gloves to complete these looks! 8-)
http://LogansCloset.com

Making Ultimate Apparel Reality

Return to “UNIVERSAL DESIGNS LTD.”