"The Terminator" Terminator Jacket 1

We have all had those defining moments when we noticed a film personality on the silver screen wearing a fantastic leather jacket. Or maybe you fell in love with James Dean’s iconic red windbreaker. You thought it looked so great and you knew someday you would have one just like it. This is a forum to discuss those jackets.

Moderator: Mike

Rick
SITE ADMIN

"The Terminator" Terminator Jacket 1

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 am

"Terminator" Terminator Jacket 1 Main Page
Manufacturer: Not Known

Costume Designer: Hilary Wright

Suggested By: TV8

Screen Captures: 1984 © Hemdale Film

You guys will not see this shot anywhere else as I took a panned shot and spliced it together. :D

Last edited by Rick on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 am

Elbow shots for TV8:

Last edited by Rick on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMechanic

Postby TheMechanic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:02 pm

That was a grey after market M-65. Check out the buttons, they're not olive drab, they're the same color as the jacket.
Back in the 80's and early 90's, M-65's were offered in every color under the sun. Not any more unfortunately.

h8ter18

Postby h8ter18 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 pm

while the Terminator is one of my all time favorite movies, that jacket is hideous :D

but hey, i'd love to see a replica made.

TV8

Postby TV8 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm

If there was a worship emoticon, I would be using it now.

Yes, my T1 jacket will be ugly as a busted asshole, but it will at least be as screen accurate as I can make it thanks to these photos. This page will be an invaluable resource over the coming months. Rick, cheers and many thanks again for all your effort.

Here is the jacket I will be using as a base. Colour and specs are a gamble as it is from eBay.co.uk. I will post updates in a new thread in due course.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:54 am

That looks like a great start, actually. If the color is not to your liking, you can always try to adjust it a bit with a dye bath. What gets me is that in shots like this the material almost looks like nylon or satin. It is really thin and it mimics each wrinkle that the cloth around it has. Of course, other shots make the material look thicker and shiny like vinyl/pleather - especially at the elbows.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 am

One other thing. When I was looking at the length of your jacket, I thought it looked a little longer than the Terminator jacket. I was mostly going by the first picture in this thread and the distance from the bottom right side snap to the hemline. Seems shorter in the film. Then, I was trying to get a measurement from the pocket flaps to the bottom when I noticed that for a good portion of the film the flaps are tucked in. I thought that they were removed completely, but I found a few shots that showed them. Check it out.

Cmdr_Bong

Postby Cmdr_Bong » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:20 am

There are many positive things that can be said about the 80's....unfortunately fashion is definitely NOT one of them.

Having said that I am interested in seeing the results of TV8's little project. Good luck with it mate!
There are 3 rules to Procrastinating:

TV8

Postby TV8 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks Bong, I can't wait to get started.
Rick, you make a good point and thanks again for the great reference shots. I agree that the length will be too long. I think there are two things causing this, the first is that the film jacket was probably a shorter jacket than mine. Probably a regular fit to Army specs whereas mine is a more modern and larger cut. Secondly, I suspect that they might have padded up the shoulders a bit on the movie jacket, further enhancing Arnie's then-massive frame, and lifting the whole jacket up a few inches. This can perhaps best be seen in the last photo you posted. Also, check out how the jacket arm pulls as he is reaching near the SPAS 12 on the table. Its as if his delts are overshooting the whole rest of his arm by a few inches which seems unlikely, but not impossible I guess, he was HUGE at the time of filming.
I propose to tailor mine - get an inch or inch and a half taken off the bottom, remove the cuffs, shorten the sleeves then re-apply the cuffs. I will also cut some foam rubber into a set of traps and delts and velcro it into the jacket.
And I still have a few boxes of RIT color remover from my Ghostbusters flightsuit ready to use if the khaki isn't spot on.

TV8

Postby TV8 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:16 pm

I am 99% certain the chain used on this jacket is Lock Link Chain in Trade Size 4/0.

The image of Arnie in the car is probably the best evidence for this.

I've posted a WTB for this over at the RPF Junkyard, but if anyone has any in their local area, please let me know. It is not available in Australia, and I can only import it in trade quantities, like over 100 feet. I think the jacket uses only about 3 feet on it. Cheers

pwang

Postby pwang » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:58 pm

Just remember that m-65 jackets tend to be sized on the big side. I normally wear a 42 US jacket but even my size small m-65 is a tad big.

I guess the DoD intended wearers to layer up or perhaps wear body armour underneath.

TV8

Postby TV8 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 pm

pwang wrote:Just remember that m-65 jackets tend to be sized on the big side. I normally wear a 42 US jacket but even my size small m-65 is a tad big.

I guess the DoD intended wearers to layer up or perhaps wear body armour underneath.

Cheers - yeah, I got the eBay seller to measure under the armpits laid flat before I bought, but it still might be a little large. I am taking it a size bigger than normal, but I intend to add some massive shoulder pads to it (and pad up the back a bit too). I am certain that there were shoulder pads on the screen used jacket - the delts move in a strange way in a number of scenes. There were definitely shoulder pads on Kyle Reese's trench coat too. Plus, I dont want to look like a weedy 41" chest Terminator 8-)

TV8

Postby TV8 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Well this project is almost dead. No M65 field jacket in Grey available. The one I got via eBay was not the colour represented in the auction. I've posted a WTB over in the appropriate area;
http://FILMJACKETS.COM/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1074
so if anyone has any leads on one, please let me know. Thanks.

foreverchaos82

Postby foreverchaos82 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:14 pm

My friend made a replica of the terminator jacket awhile back. He found a grey M-65 jacket at a thrift store here in Chicago IL, USA back in the early 2000's I think he said. what needle in a haystack find! He wears the jacket normally, because of the whole 80s punk look. I wanted to make one of these jackets too, but have never got around to doing it. Grey is one of the most rare colors of the M-65 jacket. To find the exact brand of the jacket used in T1 would be near impossible considering the lack of information on the jacket itself. Like the post above, obscure colored m-65's were stopped, just like most of the other clothing of the 80s. I thought the only ones left were ones somewhere hidden in retro/vintage clothing stores never to be found, which sucks for us! After many hours of hard research i have located for sale on amazon new grey M-65 jackets!!!! Its a new off brand jacket that is even much less money than the original brand the USA used in Vietnam "Alpha Jackets". This is to my knowledge the only reproduction ever made. It is AT LEAST 95% identical to the original T1 jacket.

http://www.amazon.com/M-65-Field-Jacket ... 70&sr=1-28

My friend gave me detailed information on how to make the jacket and i will share them with you. Most of the ideas are from my friend and not my own doing.

Once you get the jacket, get a large square piece of leather, "i think ebay has some"

Find some way to scrunch the waist of the jacket and duct tape the inside of the waist thoroughly to ensure it wont detach.

Next get a can of black spray paint , Matte finish would look best, and very very lightly mist over the areas on the jacket you desire to give it that "dirty" look.

Compare the back of the jacket pictures, and the leather piece from the top of the jacket to tip of the triangle below the waist line. Get a ruler, or something you can draw a straight line with of some sort. With a white Paint marker "works best on leather" outline the shape of leather piece to match the T1 jacket. Get a very sharp utensil, possibly a large razor sharp pair of scissors, and slowly cut the outline, take your time to ensure the best cut.

Do the exact same with the elbow piece, inter jacket collar, and right shoulder strap extension "the thing thats supposed to hold the chain".

After you have all the pieces cut, i would bring them to a tailor, and get them sewn on because they have professional equipment and time to sew leather. This ensures the leather pieces will stay in place, glue is no good it will peel after awhile.

Next get about 200-300 1/2 pyramid studs to be safe, "you can buy them in bulk". Once you have the studs get a sharp dart, place stud into the leather, then poke the 2 holes, place stud into holes, clamp the ends of the stud with a flathead screwdriver"me and my friend are both into punk and have much experience studding leather this works the best".

Apply all the studs to match the T1 jacket.

Im not too sure about the chain, i think you have a good lead on it, ill keep on the lookout for it and keep you informed.

Hope that I helped, and think its awesome someone is into the same project I am!

Now all you need is the studded biker gloves, double H flat toe biker boots with right strap studded, a ugly shirt and a really bad haircut, then you can walk into a gun store and ask for a 45 longslide with laser sighting. haha if you have any more questions post back -Andrew

DVD Connoisseur

Postby DVD Connoisseur » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Fantastic first post, foreverchaos82! Welcome to the boards! :D

Return to “Film Jackets”