My Wolverine Costume Info

This is a place to discuss things that are related to FILMJACKETS.COM that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Mike

DavidCoppola

My Wolverine Costume Info

Postby DavidCoppola » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:22 am

OK, I finally got everything together, thanks in a huge part to Dan and Tony.

I went with a real hybrid version. The breakdown:

X2 jacket, distressed by Dan.
527 Levis
X1 belt, by Tony(Superdrool, still trying to figure that name out)
Zimmerli tank
Generic dog tags
Aluminum claws,bought several years ago
Generic boots, either I will be wearing an old pair of Dingos, or Lugz.

The wig was customized by a make-up artist that has helped me out before in the past and has done a fabulous job again.
I went with the comic-book version, very wild animal look to it.
I started with the commercially available and licensed Wolverine wig, which was utter crap. Then I found the "Urban Vampire" wig at PartyCity.com-look it up and you will see what I started with, a very good base wig, with great tips for the hair.
My make-up friend trimmed, colored and laquered it into a fantastic Wolverine wig.

Lastly, I have tried to grow my facial hair out and darkened it with "Just for Men" coloring. Wolverine did not have a mustache, but I have one, simply because it takes me so long to grow one and my Village People group have a couple of shows in November, and I need it for those.

There's the info, here's the pics, Dave.

Last edited by DavidCoppola on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:50 pm

So Dave, in essence, you'll look like an ol' generic victorian-age British dude. With the mutton chops connecting to the mustache, saying:
'Pip-pip, cheerio, lad!' As you puff on a cherry wood pipe. 8-)
In my head it looks hilarious. I wonder if the images you submit resemble the ones in my head. :D
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:24 am

The pictures are in my personal gallery if anyone wants to see them.

Otherwise, please wait for one of the people here that I emailed to post them.

I don't know why this is so fucking difficult, pardon my french, but I am frustrated.

Rick
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:57 am

Hi David. I told you I would add these for you.

I put them in the top post, and deleted the rest of the unnecessary stuff to keep things clean. Your photos are a nice resolution and they show good detail. It would be a shame to have them here at less than 800dpi. The shot that you considered the "worst one" in an earlier post was one of my favorites. At least for the jacket details and the leather grain.

You look great there as well. You guys have me beat six ways until Sunday with your poses. I love the jackets, and have quite a few in my collection, but I just cannot get 'into it' as much by becoming the character. Kudos to you!

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks so much Rick, I appreciate you posting these.

The jacket is an older DavidYR1 and I got it from Mike and Dan distressed it for me.

It's really tough getting those claws into a bar, but without them, most people wonder who I am. When I do get the claws on, people are shocked and immediately know Wolverine.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:30 pm

Just got home.
Damn... 8-)
F'n sweet Dave. The wig is friggin' sweet, better than I thought i'd be. The claws are a pain to tweek. I got a set I had to snip half an inch off the thick-gage wire to fit them snugly to my knuckle w/o cutting off circulation. I love the X2 jacket. It stands out as an eye-catcher of the X-franchise and on it's own as a badass jacket. The DavidYR1's sleeves can easily be brought in by a seamstress, the manufacturer or myself. I'm not too keen on the liner portion of the job but it can be done. Overall very nice, Dave! Did anyone buy you a round for looking so feral :wink:
Those pics are not at all what I imagined. No british muttonchop-mustache mash-up :(
-Tony

ps-nice belt too.
"Logan, my tolerance for your smoking in the mansion notwithstanding, continue smoking that in here, and you'll spend the rest of your days under the belief that you're a six-year-old girl."

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:08 am

Halloween went fabulous! I added some mutton chops to further enhance the look. My friend, who is a commercial special effects guy did them for me.
People were blown away, more so than I thought they would.

Only problem was I could not get into a bar with the claws, even when I hid them in the inside chest pockets. The I started thinking "concealed weapon" and looked at it from a bar's perspective.

Funny, a comic book friend would only refer to me as Weapon X!

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:41 pm

DavidCoppola wrote:Halloween went fabulous! I added some mutton chops to further enhance the look. My friend, who is a commercial special effects guy did them for me.
People were blown away, more so than I thought they would.

Only problem was I could not get into a bar with the claws, even when I hid them in the inside chest pockets. The I started thinking "concealed weapon" and looked at it from a bar's perspective.

Funny, a comic book friend would only refer to me as Weapon X!
Should have borrowed Mike's sons' extending/retractable claws. You would've been in the bar for sure :wink: .

xOUTLAWx

Postby xOUTLAWx » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:46 pm

DavidCoppola wrote:I don't know why this is so fucking difficult, pardon my french, but I am frustrated.

As far as I know it isn't french. :mrgreen: Very nice costume you put together Dave. The replica belt is top notch.

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks bud! Tony(SuperDrool) made the belt.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:34 pm

One of these days, I'll get around to making myself one of those X1 belts. But I'm more focused on making my wife a leather/rabbit fur watch band. And a custom tank bib for my bike. Dave, I think you pulled off the classic Barry Windsor-Smith Look of Wolverine from the Weapon X story line, which is most likely why your friend referred to you as such.

-Tony

DavidCoppola

Postby DavidCoppola » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Barry Windsor-Smith? Whoa...way over my head.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:28 pm

Look it up some time, it's worth the read if you enjoy the movie origin you might like the the base story even better. The 'real' origin of Wolverine is somewhat different and delves deeper into Logan's character before and after the Adamantium bond. Yeah, I know: 'Nerd,nerd...nerd' :D .
But really, I own many works of art that are essential Wolverine reads, in which I came to the conclusion that the Movieverse and comic verse should not be thought of in the same context. Completely different entities. I'm glad you enjoyed the belt, you seem to fit it well enough.
-Tony

xOUTLAWx

Postby xOUTLAWx » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:18 pm

DavidCoppola wrote:Thanks bud! Tony(SuperDrool) made the belt.

Well he did a great job. It's SA enough for me.

superDrool

Postby superDrool » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:25 pm

outlawsambass wrote:
DavidCoppola wrote:Thanks bud! Tony(SuperDrool) made the belt.

Well he did a great job. It's SA enough for me.

Thanks! You guys are too awesome :P . Mechanics is just as badass. I wish I had the time and supplies to make more for the guys here who want one. These custom belts have one draw back, the need to be sized to the owner before I can even start the hardware on them. So to make these I would have to have a head count and the waist size as well. But yes I did enjoy contributing to Dave's cool costume. I'm happy with the final results.
Dave, you mentioned that you had grown more length on those porkchops of yours, got pics with the wig on by chance? Kinda curious to see a difference.
-Tony

Return to “FILMJACKETS.COM Related”